Legality of dropping things into a volcano

The only continuously erupting fluid lava (basaltic) crater I know is Kilauea in the main Hawaiian island. It’s a permanent danger zone, as far as I know.

Then let’s hire ISIS to do it.

We could just build a highway to there.

The one in the movie I linked to is Erta Ale, in Ethiopia. Like Kilauea, it’s got a perpetually active lava lake in the crater.

Coke bottles, for instance, can lead to no end of trouble.

The gods must be crazy, right?

They’re out of business now, I’ve heard. I think one of the ex-employees is starting a country-western career.

She’ll be bigger than Mac Davis!

Are you thinking of throwing a virgin into a volcano?

Throwing stuff from a small plane has drawbacks. A friend of my husband decided to scatter his mother’s ashes over the Pacific. Since he already had the plane, what could possibly go wrong?
He opened the tiny window, stuck the urn out, and was promptly covered in mom-ash, as was the entire interior of the plane.

Covanta does it with just plain old fire. Seems like a sweet deal too. I talked to a guy there, he said they make a third of their money from people paying them to take their trash. Another third of their money comes from burning that trash, generating it into electricity, and selling it to the utilities. And the final third comes from the scrap value of the metal that’s leftover from the incinerator.

Your plan is just a landfill, so you’re leaving a lot of money on the table. You ought to capitalize on the scrap plus energy value of what people pay you to get rid of. Plus a volcano-powered generator would be awesome. You could probably get even more money by charging for volcano-generator-incinerator-salvage tours.

Most things won’t be “utterly disintegrated.” That goes double if they’re made from dolomite, the tough black mineral that won’t cut out when there’s heat all about!

Also, don’t toss cheese into a lactose-intolerant volcano (that’s a little more obscure, I think, but I believe in you!)

I don’t have an answer, but just wanted to say questions like this are why I love this place. :slight_smile:

What about things that are 40% dolomite?

^^^
You’re thinking of some other mineral. Dolomite is just magnesium-rich calcite. It’s nowhere near to being considered a refractory mineral and it’s rarely colored black.

It’s referring to the “Jurassic Bark” episode of Futurama, when Fry’s fossilized dog gets thrown into lava, and the professor says it might still survive because it’s made of dolomite, “The tough black mineral that won’t cop out when there’s heat all about!”, and Bender goes in after it because “I’m 40% dolomite!”

Your link says ‘Dolemite.’

Dolomite is the mineral, Dolemite is the pimp. Of course it’s more white-gray. If you were to take things literally, then the numbers that Bender gives throughout the series add up to a lot more than 100%.

Yeah, the pronunciation is the same even though the spelling is different, and the “tough black mineral that won’t cop out” is actually (I believe) a parody of a line in the Shaft song, but it all adds up into something hilarious.

I hear this cat Shaft is a bad mother …

… shut your mouth.