Less than pretty faces on television: US vs UK

I’m reminded of the episode of* 30 Rock* where Jenna gains a bunch of weight. Jack says, referring to her, “She needs to lose 30 pounds or gain 60. Anything in between has no place in television.”

Is Stephen Fry (who was quite good looking as a younger man as long as you don’t mind the skew nose) any worse looking than that American panel show host, Drew Carey?

Burr and Falk were in the 50s and 60s, before this sort of thing was codified. I’m talking about the 21st century.

Also, William Conrad was unable to get a job in TV for years, despite being a well-known and well-regarded radio actor. He lived by doing voiceovers (Rocky and Bullwinkle) until Quinn Martin decided to go against standards. In the 1971, BTW.

Many of the other counterexamples established themselves as character actors in movies and only got TV at that point. They are exceptions, but the don’t disprove anything, since most TV lead actors and actresses are attractive. Look at the lineups of shows any day of the week and the number of ordinary looking actors are leads is probably no more than one a day.

It’s not just the UK either. Compare the US casting for the leads in The Bridge:

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/07/01/4534387/vd-The-Bridge-620x349.jpg

with the leads in the (excellent) original Danish/Swedish original:

I’m not suggesting that Helin and Bodnia are unattractive, but they do seem somehow less, I dunno, glossy.

Not exactly the same, but related:

I was in London during the last NFL Super Bowl. During actual play they streamed the US broadcast version with Joe Buck (or whoever) and during commercials cut back to the British studio. In studio they had a British host, a British born former NFL player, and a nerdy looking American analyst. Many of the segments were explanatory in nature - general rules, people calling to ask questions, etc. I remember noticing and thinking that there is no way that American analyst would ever be on an American Super Bowl broadcast. Though he was very well spoken and knowledgeable, he lacked the jawline and broad shoulders to fit in on an American panel.

Also, Adam Richman of Man vs. Food fame was the on field correspondent - which was weird.

Well, if you’re looking for proof that we don’t deem Hollywood looks important in our sporting anchors, do a Google image search for Adrian Chiles.