Let's define fair and unfair questions for Palin

Cite?

Governor Palin (Senator Biden), one of the roles of the Vice President is as Chairman of the Board of NASA. Can you discuss your opinion the governement’s role in promoting science.

I like that question. It isn’t one where the party line is so clear cut that you can just fall back on talking points, but it’s something where there’s lots of different ways to address it and lots of entry points.

“Have you ever, you know, done it with a girl?”

OK, household income is a quarter of a mil a year.
She has not yet released any statements on her net worth, and I’ll bet you dollars to donuts that she won’t before election day. But secrecy and money surround this woman. She refuses to release some 1100 personal emails, and she made sure she did all business on personal email. She got $27 million in Federal earmarks for Wasilla, a town of about 7000 people. In 2000, she requested $500 million for Alaska in federal earmarks. In 2008 it was $254 million. That pipeline that she’s taking credit for “standing up to big oil” about, even though it hasn’t be started yet? It’s going to get $500 million of state money, and the oil companies will be spending billions to put it up. She belongs to a pentecostal, charismatic church whose philosphophy is (and I can provide cites on this if you want them) bascially “Blessed are the rich in spirit for they shall also be rich in cash - we’ll make sure of it.” It’s more benign than outright corruption, more like you help me out and I’ll help you. People do it every day in normal life - it’s called being neighborly. I’m doing it myself. But I’m not the governor, and I’m not talking public stuff here for myself.

So I don’t have outright proof. What I have is the fact that she’s surrounded by suspicious circumstances, she isn’t telling, and people don’t usually do that when there’s nothing to hide.

This one makes for an even better debate if it ends up being a “GOTCHYA” question for Biden. :smiley:

I think to keep it fair you pretty much have to limit it to general policy questions and questions to how they would handle the various duties of the Office of the VP.

of course, they would then have to explain what those duties are to Gov. Palin

Other than going to funerals, what does a VP do all day? Unless they’re Dick Cheney and running the government, that is?

Ok.

Palin could you turn around and let American males check your butt.? I kid.
Just ask her how she feels about the bailout and what caused it. That would be fun to watch. Then ask about regulation…more or less? What is her take on the congressmen who voted against the bailout?

One example of a totally unfair “gotcha” question for Palin would be:

“What magazines do you read to keep up with world events?”

I mean, can you imagine anyone asking such an unfair, biased and not to say totally RUDE question as that? How could anyone expect that Palin could answer that one? It’s so difficult!

AP Article

That one’s rough. There seem to have been as many reasons for voting against it as there were votes. I phoned Republican Chris Smith today and urged him to get together with Democrat Dennis Kucinich(!) to aim the rescue at the mortgages themselves rather than at the CDSs. Also at no capital gains tax reduction, which I seriously doubt he’ll go for, but we can but try…What can I do? He’s my congressman, and he’s got about as much chance at not being re-elected as Barney Frank, I guess. I emailed both my senators the same message.

My point is, there are all kinds of reasons to vote for and against the bail-out. Some of them are principled but misguided. Others are principled and well-thought-out. Others yet are not principled. I don’t see how you could have a single take on congressmen who voted against the bail-out.

Honestly, it’s hard not to ask a question that doesn’t allow Palin to make herself look foolish.

Here’s a softball from Couric (Gawd, who would have guessed Katie would bring down a veep candidate): Where do you get your news? What newspapers do you read?

Um, defensive much?

We’ve been discussing that here.

That is a really good question!

The question has more potential to help Palin than Biden. There has been a lot of discussion about whether she actually believes certain scientific fallacies or not. This would give her a chance to show that she has a more sophisticated understanding of scientific issues than we might think.

It also might give us some insight into how some of her personal values might affect her policy decisions. Her answers might or might not appeal to a lot voters, but she’s better off having people know her actual feelings on the issues rather than relying on speculation and fear-mongering.

Plus, maybe she’ll talk about bear DNA some more. Bear DNA is cool.

Crab. McCain is bear DNA.
ETA: They’re both cool, and both useful studies.

Hmm, couldn’t, “Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.”

ALSO mean that if none were placed in front of her, she has read zero? :dubious:

And thus N8 changes sides to vote for McCain.

Yep, that’s all it would take.

I think you have a better shot at long term cleavage if she’s not elected VP. With Troopergate, she probably won’t be re-elected, either. But Fox News will hire her as a top reporter or commentator in a red hot minute. And she’ll show cleavage there in a red hot minute.

ETA: Full boobage, not so much.

Brava, jsgoddess! In a post of many excellent questions, this one in particular strikes me as especially so. Succinct and simple, but with plenty of room for either candidate to expound in any direction they want to take. And a very important question given the current state of balance of powers and the unitary executive. Please, if you haven’t already, submit this for formal consideration by someone moderating a VP debate (are there more than the one scheduled?).

Good thinking. I’m still holding out for her career tanking so bad that she’ll end up doing Playboy just to feed Twig. This theory hasn’t gotten me as far as I’d have liked with Britney…

Back on track…

Governor Palin, how old is the Earth?