Let's kill people, music-like!

So “Alison” is sung from the point of view of a stalker/killer? I never thought about it that way!

“The Awakening” from Alice Cooper’s Welcome to my Nightmare:
Suddenly I realize
I see it all through real eyes,
These crimson spots are dripping from my hands…

“I Shot the Sheriff” by Bob Marley (or the cover by Clapton)

Does “Excitable Boy” by Warren Zevon count? It’s a third-person POV instead of first-person.

I think this would qualify:

Primus’ My Name is Mud.

“We had our words, a common spat
Then I cracked him up side the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat”.

Don’t know if he died or not, but attempted murder for sure.

Another Johnny Cash song: Delia’s Gone

“If I hadn’t have shot poor Delia, I’d have had her for my wife”
“First time I shot her, I shot her in the side”

and so on…

What about “Hey Joe?”

Granted, it’s not all in first person, but “I’m goin’ down to shoot my old lady - I caught her messin’ round with another man.”

And then the immortal “Yes, I did, I shot her. You know I caught my old lady messin’ 'round the town. And I gave her the gun, I shot her!”

I shot the Sheriff” Bob Marley. What about The Cure’s “The Same Deep Water As You”? To me it tells of a mermaid luring a man out to sea where he drowns for love of her. Poe’s “Angry Johnny” may fit your criteria.

Tom Lehrer has a song called “I Hold Your Hand In Mine,” about killing his sweetheart and cutting off her hand as a souvenir. I remember my dad singing this song when I was reeeeeeally little, and I think it might have something to do with my morbid turn of mind. :slight_smile:

For the third-person murders, Lehrer also had one called “The Irish Ballad,” about a young woman killing her entire family in creative ways. And there’s always my favorite Beatles song, “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.”

Me either, until somebody (on this board, I think) brought up that interpretation. Adds a whole other layer to the song.

I’m sorry, Manowar is not cheesy. They hold the Guinness World Record for Loudest Concert Ever. They wrote an 8-part, 26-minute epic about the Siege of Troy. Orson freakin’ Welles narrated one of their songs a week before he died.

GWAR is cheesy. Manowar is not.

Getting back on topic: The Mothers of Invention, My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama.

I suppose we disagree about the definition of “cheesy”, because that pretty much qualifies, IMHO.

You failed to quote my favorite line from that:

First time I shot her,
I shot her in the side.
Hard to watch her suffer,
but with a second shot she died

There is a whole folk music tradition of “murder ballads” that several of the aforementioned artists like the Violent Femmes, Nick Cave, and even Tom Lehrer are all paying tribute to. One could even argue that the more violent, lurid hip-hop is an extension of this musical tradition.

And one more murder song that comes to mind, the jangly, twangy, rockabilly-inflected “Little Sadie” by the Canadian band The Sadies.

How about the bluegrass classic “Pretty Polly”?

And I’m suprised to see that no-one’s yet suggested Aerosmith’s “Janie Got a Gun.”

Loved and listened to that song (Allison) for years before I really noticed what it was about.

Now a much more obvious, and dark Elvis Costello murder song has got to be Psycho:

He kills his ex and Jackie White
He kills (or at least attempts to kill) Johnny - but it seems Johnny’s pup survives
He kills Betty Clark with a wrench
He kills Mama

Talking Heads’ Take me to the River appears to be someone asking to be murdered.
“Put me in the water…washing me down”

maybe a missed it, but I would add

murder by numbers by the Police

Check out the album “Songs from my Funeral” by Snakefarm. They cover classic murder-folk ballads in a trip-hop-folky kind of way. Included gems are “Banks of the Ohio”, “Frankie and Johnny” and “Tom Dooley”.

John Wesley Harding has a couple of tunes about murder:
Punch 'n Judy
The radical gentleman
Complained about my bell
I said it was an organ
And I rang that thing like hell
The Objector backed me up on
Any name I said it is
And guess which one of them will live

Sussex Ghost Story
After I had killed my wife
And by the jury been acquitted
I resolved to change my life
And try to lead a life less wicked
I roamed around
From town to town
In search of some employment
But it was here
I settled down

Edward
Oh it’s too red for your grey mare’s blood
Son, come tell to me
Then, it’s the blood of me own dear brother
He wouldn’t ride with me, with me
He wouldn’t ride with me.

Ooo! I forgot Tom Jones’ Delilah!

At break of day when that man drove away, I was waiting
I cross the street to her house and she opened the door
She stood there laughing
I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more

Hey, don’t get me wrong - I’ve been a fan since 1983, and I have almost all of their albums (missing the latest). Maybe “cheesy” wasn’t the right word. Melodramatic, perhaps?

Sounds like baptism to me.

How about:

"Nebraska" - Bruce Springsteen

I saw her standing
On her front lawn
Just a twirlin’ her baton
Me and her went for a ride, Sir
And ten innocent people died

(Based on the true story of Charlie Starkweather, as fictionalized in the movie Badlands.)