Let's say Russia launches a full-scale invasion of all Ukraine.

never heard of Gandhi, have you?

The non-violent tactics of Gandhi or King only work against an opponent who has chosen to exercise some level of restraint.

Define “work”. Also “restraint

You seriously think that’s a good comparison, do you?

Britain was economically devastated in the mid-1940s, was exhausted from fighting the Nazis & Japanese, and was gearing up to fight a Cold War against the Soviets. They were not in a particularly good position to fight a war in a country of half a billion people. Whatever the merits of Gandhian non-violence, India isn’t a good test case for anything, because it caught the British empire at an exceptionally weak point in time.

Depends on how you define ‘recalled’. Are you recalled when you get notification?

If by email, I’d say the odds are pretty good.
If by snail mail…I’d say the odds are very low.

…and Russia’s doing so well…:dubious:

Ukraine’s on Russia’s doorstep. Very different from UK distance to India.

Ukraine has a significantly smaller population than Russia. India had a vastly larger population than the UK.

US military bases are in Europe, right on Ukraine’s doorstep too.

Irrelevant, I didn’t say anything about Ukrainians standing in lines. I said US military.

Gandhi’s tactics worked because they were being used against a society that considered something like the massacres at Amritsar and Peshawar to be wrong. They turned not only Indian but British public opinion against the occupation of India.

Perfect answer! for once let the West mind it’s own business.

Ukraine is its own business, or much more so than, say, Iraq.

Russia’s certainly doing a lot better than fifteen or twenty years ago, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were in a stronger position now than Britain was two years after WWII.

In any case, I suspect that the Russian army couldn’t care less about a ‘human chain’ :rolleyes: of unarmed military personnel, and will just briefly stop to cart them off to prison before continuing on their advance.

So Russia couldn’t care less about carting thousands of American military off to prison…OK.

Admittedly, they do find it easier to just shoot down the airliners before they land, no matter what country they are over.