Let's talk about our favorite mystery novels

I’m all about Kate Atkinson’s Jackson Brody novels these days: Case Histories, One Good Turn, When Will There Be Good News? and Started Early, Took My Dog. Character driven with several smart, gritty, interwoven plot lines and a likable sad sack of a flawed hero. What’s not to love?

Ah, time for my semi-annual rant:

I like mysteries that you can figure out before the end (and not just two pages before all is revealed, please!). As far as I’m concerned, they’re the only type of mystery story that’s worthy of the name. Anything else is should be categorized as “crime” (perhaps “suspense”), as far as I’m concerned.

As such, most modern books fall far, far short of my standards, especially since my favorite subgenre is the locked room mystery, which is incredibly hard to write well, especially if you care about making a gimmick that hasn’t been done before (or at least camouflaging it well enough so it doesn’t look like it has). Paul Halter is a gift, but he’s only now being translated out of French. Edward Hoch, RIP, also wonderful. There are some Japanese authors, I understand, that I’d love, but they haven’t been translated yet.

(Anyone with suggestions that fall in spheres I’d be interested in, PLEASE share!)

ETA: Oh, and far as classics go, John Dickson Carr is, of course, king, although I wish Christianna Brand had written more.)

Surprised to actually know someone else who enjoyed Van Gulik, used to love his stories but they’re mostly unobtainable now in the U.K.

Lindsay Davis’s books were readable to start off with but became more and more menopausal, until they became very odd and unreadable to someone who wasn’t a broody, middle aged female.

Tried to read her last two and gave up on both of them .
Totally dreadful.

My own candidat is Inspector Morse, an intellectual police detective who works in the university city of Oxford.

Used to enjoy Ed McBain but he jumped the shark some time ago.

Bernard Knights medieval mysteries are good also, and accurate.

When a period piece has “Now’ist” thinking behind it or gets it wrong, I stop reading.

What does Now’ist mean?

I assume “Now”-ist. Modernist. Putting modern ideas of social equality and social justice into non-modern characters’ worldviews.

Spot on !
Or the character who is an eccentric who believes in frequent washing in the Middle
Ages, or is shocked by sudden death or disfigurment etc.

Odd. They’ve just republished them in the US – I saw new editions in a bookstore last week.

How close do you want to miss it?

[spoiler]Consider, say, DIAL M FOR MURDER: the inheritance-hungry husband is guilty of attempted murder by setting up his perfect alibi and hiring someone else to off her; his wife isn’t guilty of anything upon killing that guy in self-defense; the husband presumably earns himself a second attempted-murder charge (and other stuff besides) by messing with the evidence to make it look like it wasn’t self-defense but murder, for to get her sentenced to death – and then we see the proto-Columbo, who knows no more than we do, try to uncover what really happened with hours to go before she’ll be executed; it’s not a whodunit for us, but a compelling howcatchem!

And, since the sleuth succeeds in time, you could argue that nobody actually gets murdered; it has all the sizzle of a murder mystery, but never bothers with the steak![/spoiler]

Sounds good, hopefully they’ll reprint them over here as well.

I’m another Agatha Christie fan – I read lots of her books when I was a teenager and young adult. Some of my favorites of hers are:

The ABC Murders
Three Act Tragedy
One, Two, Buckle my Shoe
After the Funeral
Cat Among the Pigeons

and of course,

Murder on the Orient Express

I bought a compilation of Christie works (novels and short stories) for my Nook, for something like three or four bucks. And I got several books and stories that I’d never been able to find before. I also bought the complete Sherlock Holmes for a similar price.

I wouldn’t be so quick to poo poo contemporary mystery. There have been several new books released in 2012 that might be worth your while. Defending Jacob and The Gods of Gotham to name a couple. You should check out this list of The Best Mystery Novels of 2012 by TheBestBooksOf.com. They create great lists and I’ve always trusted their opinion, as I have purchased many books based on their recommendations and loved them.

Well, I hope I’ve at least somewhat swayed you towards new mystery novels! :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hope you find a great book. Let me know if you know of anything else worth reading.

Inspector Van der Valk series by Nicolas Freeling

Anything by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo (co-writers)

Ross Thomas

Ross McDonald

Len Deighton’s trilogy of trilogies (Winter; Game,Set,Match; Hook, Line, Sinker; Faith, Hope, Charity)

Almost all Elmore Leonard with the exception of Be Cool

Susan Isaacs

Am I the only Ngaio Marsh fan here?

I just scored half a dozen Dorothy L. Sayers at Half Price Books a couple of days ago. I guess someone was cleaning out an estate, there were plenty of older mysteries in that aisle, all in wonderful condition.

The bad news was, I picked up a couple of books that I already own, because I hadn’t remembered that I actually own them (not Sayers’ books), I only remembered reading them.

My favorite SciFi is The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton. A couple of mystery stories set in the future. Larry Niven again, this time writing about a noir-ish detective that just happens to have a “psychic arm” (trust me, it works).

Asimov wrote a number of excellent mysteries, as well.

Is there no love for Alan Bradley’s Favia deLuce mysteries? Or Christopher Fowler’s Peculiar Crimes Unit?

NO! See post #37 :smiley:

I love Ngaio Marsh. Her stories and characters are interesting even without a murder being involved. Alleyn’s aristocratic identity also gradually diminishes in impotance throughout the series.

Peculiar Crimes Unit : I’ve read the first two, and enjoyed them. However, if you’re starting with a septuagenarian/octogenarian pair of detectives, whose age is showing, Fowler will have to do a Poirot to keep the series running.

The books I’ve read by Minette Walters have been good. Try The Scold’s Bridle or The Ice House.

One of the best mystery novels I have read is An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. Set in Restoration England it tells the story of a murder in Oxford through the eyes of four individuals, each with a different understanding of the events. Everything is brought neatly together at the end. Most of the characters involved are actual historical figures.

No mention of Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine? :eek: I’m shocked! I would pick her books above all the others mentioned. She’s in a class by herself. Inspector Wexford stories are wonderful renditions of modern day life in England, even without the murders.