Let's talk about WD-40

My Dad used to spray it on his salt water fishing lures. He called it his secret weapon and said the smell attracted the fish.

It’s good for getting stickers (price tags, etc.) off non-porous surfaces (glass, ceramics, enameled metal, etc.).

I have no idea what could possibly be talking about.

Besides…that was Pledge, not WD-40.

Works like magic for halibut. The best household use, though, is to remove bumper stickers, tape and other adhesed items from surfaces.

Almost. What WD-40 does is mask other smells that the lures may have picked up that fish find objectionable (such as the acid on human skin). As the base of WD-40 is kerosene one may rather use one of the miriad of organic fish attractants marketed for the same purpose.

WD-40 has gotten my undying gratitude after shutting up a series of squeaking doors that WOULD NOT GO AWAY. At that point, my other option was taking an axe to them. Sprayed on some WD-40, worked like greased magic. No more squeak, ever.

I apply directly to forehead.

Did it quiet the voices, Trunk?

Nah, just made them less squeeky.

I always heard the rule, if it moves and it shouldn’t use duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should, use WD-40.

Sam Goldwasser who maintains the Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ hates the stuff. Do a search there on WD-40 to see some typical comments on it.

Don’t even use it on door hinges. It will dry up and cause worse problems in the long run. Use a good lube.

I don’t even own the stuff.

I haven’t used it for anything other than to fix creaky things, that is until I found break-free.

Never looked back.

Those problems are caused by people who misuse the stuff.

Penetrating oils should be used to penetrate, not as a general lubrication. I recently used some penetrating oil to free up the axle in an old bicycle hub. There really was no substitute for it there.

Now, after it was freed, I lubricated it with non-detergent 30 weight.

Nobody, including that Cecil column explains how this would be used.

What do you do? Take a teaspoon of it?

Rub it on the skin?

Cut a hole in your skin and stick the nozzle through?

Doesn’t even make sense.

It rubs the WD-40 on it’s skin or else it gets the hose again.

I have gigantic hairy scampering house spiders all over, who love to hide in the cracks and gaps in the walls of my basement, rushing out to dance on my hands whenever I’m moving a box or looking for a misplaced something.

WD-40, with it’s long red squirty straw, works great at making their hideyholes undesirable. I don’t think it kills them, but any hole or crack I’ve used it on is now spider-free.

My dad uses Crisco instead. He just rubs it on.

Either that or they lie about why there’s a great big thing of Crisco on the nightstand.

They use it on the doorknob, to keep the kids out.

WD-40 was used as an example in the one and only marketing class I took, because it defies the conventional wisdom that diversifying your product line is necessary to succeed. It can do that because it not only has great brand recognition, but also an almost unmatched adoption rate. That is, a huge percentage of household actually own a can of it.

By the way, it’s a San Diego company!

I used to use it quite a bit, until I started taking clock-making classes and learned about different lubricants and their effects. Now I only use it to free rusty-stuck stuff, and the aforementioned snow shovel trick.