Let's talk printers: laser vs inkjet for home user

As a raw price point yes

On a per page basis no.

I have an HP 1312n Color All in one in my shop that is going on 8 years and an hp1200 laser that is probably pushing 20 years.

Toner carts for the 1312 are about $80 each, and it takes 4, but I go through 4-5 black for any given Cyan/Magenta/Yellow. So a black, every 4-5 months, colors, about once in 14-18 mo… We print about 800-1000 pages/mo

Inkjet refills are pretty spendy for the number of pages you get out of them. To me, a small laser is a no-brainer.

That said: We have an ancient HP color inkjet that we still use occasionally - it was not new when we moved here 14 years ago. Then we got an HP inkjet all-in-one and it was a piece of junk - almost never connected to the wireless, the fax quit working after a few months, it seemed like we had to put new cartridges in it every other month (that certainly added up to FAR more than the cost of the printer itself).

We wound up trashing it and getting a laser all-in-one - for our needs, a better choice than a compact laser as we do a fair bit of scanning. We’ve had to put new toner cartridges in it perhaps twice, after about 5 years of owning it. Much better choice all around.

I thought about getting a color laser printer - that would affect the cost of course (ours is monochrome) but we decided the inkjet was good enough for the rare times we need to print in color.

Heh - ours does. I seriously thought about running a separate electrical circuit to the thing. It’s an annoyance. I actually started a thread here about that when we first got the printer, worried we were about to burn the house down.

How does that go though, given that in my experience if you only use them occasionally, you will usually need a new set of cartridges for the printer to work if it’s been idle for a while.

As the reviews said when we bought our color laser “pictures are recognisable”. :slight_smile:

You may also have seen the criticism that “fine lines are sometimes lost”, but I peronally believe that was actually a problem with PostScript drivers, not the print technology. It was never an issue for text printing.