Lightyear: Didn't they already make this movie?

If live-action, who plays Buzz? Does he go to fan conventions? Does Andy? (maybe a bit young to go alone, but maybe with his mom)

Brian

I wanna know why a kid so obsessed with Buzz in his youth only ever had a Buzz toy and nothing else from the movie.

Why is this complicated?
This is one of the films the Buzz Lightyear toy was based on.

There’s a whole montage where Andy’s room’s decorations are changed from old west to Buzz on everything. Bedsheets, posters. In the second movie he’s got a Buzz Lightyear video game.

Yeah, but you figure if this is the movie he watched, we would get some other characters from the movie, not just Buzz.

In-universe, you can only speculate. Single mom of two didn’t have the budget. Andy lost interest. Who knows.

The real reason is the whole Toy Story franchise is about Woody and his repeated existential crises. Having any other Space Ranger toys around would complicate things. (Plus, they’re not even Andy’s toys by the third movie.)

In universe, he must be kind of grizzled and old now, so perhaps he’s been through a few scandals and failed celebrity marriages etc.

Maybe the actor went to jail for selling cocaine.

The BBC review is absolutely scathing when it comes to the premise and execution. I’d post the text, but I simply can’t get spoiler to work. Lightyear review: 'A frustratingly slow, melancholy drama' - BBC Culture

If this review is right, it definitely sounds to me like they missed badly with the script.

The Guardian review is way more positive

82% on Rotten Tomatoes but the reviews are kinda all over the place on metacritic:

I’m not going to see it in theaters but it’ll definitely get a watch when it gets to Disney+.

Mom and I went to see this today for her birthday movie.

We really enjoyed it. Action-packed with just the right amount of drama and quiet scenes. One of the main premises of the movie, so I won’t put it in spoiler tags, is that Buzz makes repeated failed attempts to figure out how to replicate hyperdrive, but fails, and every time he returns to the planet, his friends and colleagues have aged several years more than he has, because of the time dilation effect of going at relativistic speeds. I haven’t seen this very often in fiction, and it’s an intriguing premise. He ends up missing his best friend’s entire life because of his obsession, as she marries and has children and grandchildren, as he keeps throwing the baby out with the bathwater in an attempt to solve hyperdrive and get everyone back home. It’s because he feels responsible for stranding them on the planet in the first place, and he doesn’t realize that his need to do everything himself is the source of many of his woes.

But he gets character development.

The reveal of who Zurg was, was interesting. It’s not who you think.

Sox the robot cat was very cute without crossing the line to annoying, and will no doubt sell many toys.

The lesbian kiss was blown out of proportion. It was a peck on the lips lasting one, maybe two seconds, and because, OH MY GOD, lesbian relationships exist and deserve to be shown in fiction, Middle Eastern and Muslim countries refuse to show it, and Christian fundamentalists accuse Disney of trying to groom their children. For fuck’s sake, it’s 2022. Stop being such snowflakes.

I’m not surprised the reviews are all over the place. Sounds kind of right to me.

I saw it. I enjoyed it, but there are a lot of flaws.
It is essentially a prequel and suffers the same problem as most prequels in that origin stories aren’t nearly as good as what we imagine in our heads.
Though from what I’ve read, there is a Buzz Lightyear cartoon that does a better job.

The story is enjoyable and beautiful to watch, but slow at times. Some characters are just sort of there, which isn’t a bad thing, but isn’t a good thing either. My biggest problem is with the likability of Buzz Lightyear. He’s such a tool.

The cat is the best. I love that all the ‘computer’ sounds are just the voice actor going “boop boop boop” in a not-at-all computer way.

I propose that the movie be called Buzz. And it can be a play on words, as the actor struggles to keep his career going while trying to branch out into other roles, but people only see him as the actor from the Lightyear film and are reluctant to put him in more serious projects.

Meanwhile, between failed auditions and tedious Sci Fi conventions where he’s sick of saying “To Infinity and Beyond” over and over, he pays the bills as a Pizza Planet delivery driver. To top things off, he is paying child support and alimony to his ex wife who sees him as a failure, and has a daughter who sees him as the hero he played in the film.

So basically a Mark Hamill biopic :grin:

The funny thing is the special effects in this movie look much, much better than any live action or animated movie from 1995. Compare with the opening sequence of Lost in Space (1998) which looks like a video game cutscene.

Then, of course, the alien race that monitored the old movie somehow, and thought it was a documentary, builds a real copy of his spaceship and kidnaps him to rescue them from a real threat, right? Right?

Watched this tonight. It was…not good? Like at all?

I read that in the voice of Chris Evans.

I watched Lightyear tonight too. There were a lot of movie references, as well as callbacks, but the story was a bit of a jumble, and none of it landed for me. I didn’t think the villain’s motivations made any sense.