I was thinking that as well. “Nannites” are always presented as this magical material that can make anything out of anything.
Addressed in Day of the Dead (1985) where Dr. Logan notes one of his zombie subjects continues eating even when its stomach is removed. The food isn’t digested, so I imagine it just putrefies where it is or possibly bursts if a zombie over eats.
Yeah. Any undead zombie, not matter the purported explanation for its origin, is simply magic because a corpse cannot walk, respond to stimuli, or nibble on their neighbors.
At confusing times like this, I simply rely on what was stated in the OG zombie flick: “Yeah, they’re dead. They’re all messed up.” No need to get more complicated than that.
And any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!
Maybe thinking of this in a different way. Muscles and nerves continue to respond to electrical stimuli (let’s say up to 10 to 24 hours) after death. If I were to create some sort of nanotech that could deliver such stimuli in a coordinated manner, would it be possible to create a practical working zombie?
But I think we are starting to blur the line between purely biological “zombies” and terminator-like “cyborgs” where it’s just the tech that provides locomotion and the human part is really just a suit for appearances.
“The first zombie terminators had rubber skin. We spotted them easy. But these are new. They look like they were human - mostly intact skin, smell of decaying flesh, everything.”
Kyle Reese,The Zombinator, 1984
But how much of a threat could he be? If he had no magical powers, he wouldn’t even qualify as a lich. And where would the blood go if he no longer had a stomach? He’d be like the proverbial skeleton who walks into a bar and asks for a beer and a mop.
Plus I think the original lore was to destroy the heart, which being devoured by ants would certainly qualify. Nothing magic about wooden stakes, just that they were handy.
Not Zombies. As close as I recall, those were “Children of the Night” generated from the teeth of the Hydra. And a little magic.
Not Zombies.
In the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z all animals, including insects and carrion eaters, instinctively avoid zombies. Presumably this applies to bacteria as well.