Linux or not?

:rolleyes:

GIMP isn’t one of what?
[ul]
[li]the few very good free software programs[/li][li]the few very good free software programs available for Windows[/li][/ul]
Point one is debatable, but if you do subscribe to the common view that the GIMP is a very good free software program, then you might be happy to know that it has been ported to Windows.

My aunt bought a Micro-Tel PC with Lindows from Wal-Mart. The closest she had over come to using a computer before that was WebTV. She hasn’t had any major problems. Even HP is starting to offer Mandrake on some of its systems.

Interesting, Chief! I was wondering how well the Linux boxes from WalMart were working out, though I think that there is some difference between your aunt, as a “typical” home user who would never consider trying to install some hardware or software, and DougC’s “typical” user who will. The problem is that both ARE typical users.

And amore is right. I’ve used GIMP on my work Win2k machine for a year or two. A heck of a package!

DougC is absolutely correct about the lack of information for people who have installed the software but who are not ready to recompile the kernal or write their own drivers.

Mr2001’s bike shop analogy is fine “if it means getting a free bike that you can build any way you want.” However, if we are looking at mass-market possibilities of such a product we will see that the vast majority of potential users have neither the time, talent, nor inclination to learn the skills required build their own bicycles from a box of parts that may not be complete or the the right size or even all there.

So, what I have gotten out of the discussion (and some babystep experiments over the weekend) so far:

1. The primary advantages of Linux are its price, especially on new machines that have no OS installed or old machines when one doesn’t have his old MS-DOS or Windows installation disks, and the low level on which it can be controlled.

2. The primary disadvantages stem from the low level on which it can be controlled, including difficulty of installation even with a book of instructions and an interface that can be both archaic and arcane.

Months ago I had a blank drive laying around. I put Redhat 7.3 on it, and I haven’t looked back. I still use windows a good deal, but I’m using the RH when I need to surf or for email purposes.

I say throw it on, at worst you can nuke the partition. :d