Listening for time signatures

Actually, this site will back up my assertion that “America” is 6/8 alternating with 3/4. And yes, it is a hemiloa, as Moe stated.

This site, though not informative also states that the meters alternate. And there’s another discussion here about the subject.

And this site also states the meter changes.

This site seems to indicate that this rhythm is, in fact, normally written as alternating measures of 6/8 and 3/4.

Once again, I’m not saying necessarily that “America” is in fact scored that way. But is it accurate to say that the song is in 6/8? I would argue no. You can just as easily assert the song is in 3/4, with the first bar of 3/4 being subdivided into two (as two dotted quarters.)

Another album like this is Captain Beyond’s self-titled debut, released (IIRC) in 1972. It’s an experimental rock album with no shortage of odd time signatures and various other musical marvels.

Another fun one is Apocalypse in 9/8 section of Supper’s Ready from the Genesis album Foxtrot. The musicians are playing in 9/8, but when Peter Gabriel starts singing, he sings in 4/4.

Actually, I don’t believe this is true. Peter Gabriel is not singing in a different time signature. The vocal phrases just end early leaving long rests before beat one comes around again. If he began a vocal phrase on the 5 and then another on the 9 (and then another on the following 3 and so on) then I would agree.

However, I do believe that you can make a case that the keyboard solo is at times in 6/8 and now that I think about it I believe there is even a point where you can count it in 7. I’m not sure but if you are curious I’ll listen to it and post the time on the CD(m’s").

Incidentally Riding the Scree from {b]The Lamb…** does something similar.

I just remembered a more conventional 5/4 being used in pop music… Juliana Hatfield’s “Spin the Bottle,” which is also featured in the Reality Bites soundtrack.

Also, the Smashing Pumpkin’s swan song “Untitled” (sample lyrics: “Should I know/ All we’re missin/ What’s to stop/ What they’re missin/ To be in love/ To feel love/ All around.”) is mostly in 6/4, with the bridge/chorus in 4/4.

The break in Rush’s “Tom Sawyer” is is 7/4.

Led Zeppelin’s “The Ocean,” IIRC, is basically 4/4 and 7/8 alternating or 15/8, if you want to look at things that way…that is, if I’m remembering the song correctly.

And Pink Floyd’s “Money” is in 7/4, shifting to 4/4 in the bridge. (I’m amazed nobody’s mentioned this one yet …)

What about “Spoonman” by Soundgarden - it’s in 7/4 or 7/8 - I am not able to figure out the difference. But overall, I think it is fun to count it out and know how to end on the right spot.

Another one that I don’t know has a non 4/4 time sig, but may just have a situation where they are “turning the beat around” is Sade’s “Turn my Back on You” - I think it’s on her third album and it has a nice slow funk to it, but it alternates which beats it emphasizes - fun to try to follow…

I’m not familiar with “Spoonerman” (at least not by name. I’m almost certain I must have heard it before) but one way to figure out whether it’s 7/4 or 7/8 is to feel where the beat falls.

Take “Money,” for instance. The beats always fall on the quarter. If you tap your foot to it, you’ll probably tap 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.

Now a song in 7/8, the pulse will either be 3-2-2, 2-2-3, or (most rarely) 2-3-2. This means you will be tapping dotted quarter-quarter-quarter or some variant thereof. (At least that’s how I parse the pulse.)

It’s a much different feel…even if you play “Money” double time, it’ll feel 7/4, because of the grouping of the beats. The drive of 7/8 is derived from it being neither a triple meter or a duple meter, but rather a mix of the two.
7/4, in “Money”, is essentially duple meter (although it is swung. I suppose an arguement can even be made for calling it 21/8…naaah. Swung 7/4 is much easier to deal with.) The groupings of the notes are all in twos. I don’t know if this all makes sense – it would be much easier to play a couple examples for you so you can hear the difference.

Just a nitpick here. The album is called “Time Out” [get it?], in which “Take Five” is the most well-known track.

If you guys wanna have some fun, try your hand at Pyramid Song by Radiohead.