Literacy Tests In, Poll Taxes Out

I’m missing something here. You’re saying a driver’s licensed is required in Ohio?

The reason they don’t accept VISA/MC is that they don’t want you to buy the ID on credit. Amex is a “charge” card, not a credit card. Admittedly a small distinction. Or else Amex cut a deal with the DMV to lower their per transaction fee in exchange for the exclusivity. This is not uncommon.

American Express has had a credit-based product for almost a decade now. That’s not the difference - it’s because of the fee contracts, as both you and I pointed out.

Good point. Such disdain, even if it were justified, should be confined to voters who are actually wearing uniforms. Otherwise, it would be silly.

Yes, heaven forfend the advance of silliness.

Or misspellings.

I’m not going to split hairs with you. I disagree. Getting a job isn’t a Constitutional Right. No one is owed a job upon birth. But, the Right to Vote is Constitutionally guaranteed yet you (general you) wish to hinge that Right on procuring a license that is not free or low cost.

If the DMV do

If I want to vote. Yes. It was explained to me that if you receive a driver’s license from another State, that license will be used as an operator’s license and an identification card. I was told, for example, that one cannot hold an operator’s license from Minnesota and a State ID from Ohio. So in order for me to have an opportunity to vote in 2010, I need to fork over cash for a new card (despite the fact that my out-of-state operator’s license doesn’t expire until 2011).

I have a few VISA cards. The one I use the most is a **debit card **from JPMorgan Chase that has a VISA logo. If the of State of Ohio wants to ensure I don’t put it on a credit card, they could require me to enter my pin.
Final thoughts: I am not hung up on the fact that I need to show identiication. I agree with this. But requiring people to get an identification card when it’s not free amounts to a poll tax. I was turned away from getting a State ID. What if I were homeless or bankrupt? I’d never have a chance to vote strictly due to financial reasons: This is not how America should be.

An Ohio Driver’s License or ID card is not a requirement to register to vote, or to actually vote, in Ohio.

Can you name any other photo IDs that are accepted?

Can you name some that do not require the identified person to spend money to obtain?

photo ID is not a requirement.

here it is straight from the Ohio Secretary of State’s office:

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/upload/publications/election/VRinstructions.pdf

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/upload/publications/election/VRform.pdf

I don’t mind the idea of photo IDs, such as a driver’s license or state ID. Who over 18 doesn’t have one.

As for literacy, you can be very well informed without knowing how to read or write. With TV and radio. I know very smart people who would never watch CNN they perfer FOX News. It’s there choice. Although they can tell you all about the parts of an atom, they refuse to see any point but conservative. And it works the other way too.

Right now when you go to vote in Illinois you sign a sheet and the polling workers compare signatures. In the old days they used to post the name of all registered voters with their address on bulletin boards throughout the area, that way anyone could challange anyone.

In fact when I first moved back to Chicago, I got challanged. I was challanged from 1995 to 2004, which was the first local or national election I wasn’t challanged in. That means when I went to vote, someone filed a notice and I had to prove I still lived at the address I was at.

People don’t vote for what’s best, they vote in their own self interests. Being well informed isn’t going to change this once bit. If I don’t have kids, I don’t care about schools, even though I realize that children are good for a society as a whole, and I have to live in that society. But I’m not gonna vote for anything that raises my taxes to pay for programs for children.

People vote for all sorts of reasons, knowing the issues doesn’t matter. I have talked to people that tell me why they voted for Obama or McCain then after hearing their reason I explain they are incorrect. They still have their mind made up and vote for their candidate anyway.

Usually in most places you find people voting AGAINST people instead of FOR people.

Like anything education or literacy or whatever doesn’t mean you’re actually going to USE it.

Well, thats just dandy. Do I just bring my lease to voting booth?

yes, if you’re too cheap to pay the 25 bucks for an ID card.

Ah. Gotcha. Carry on, and thank you for the information.

Generally, when you move from one state to another, you only have a month or two to get a driver’s license/ID card in the new state. If you’re a student, or in the military, or are otherwise only a temporary resident of the state, this changes. However, if you want to VOTE in the new state, then you are changing your state of residence.

IOW, your old driver’s license is no longer valid, no matter what the expiration date says on the DL itself, and you need to get a new one from Ohio anyway.

Presuming that someone still has the ability to write. Or that their signature hasn’t changed in the time when they registered (which could have been decades prior) to the current time. I registered to vote half my lifetime ago. My signature now doesn’t really resemble my signature then, pre-arthritis. Signature verification is good, but disproportionately disenfranchises the disabled.

You’ve already been told that right here in this thread. In broad strokes: the poor, minorities, the disabled, the elderly. To understand why let’s start from the beginning. This is the process of getting state ID in Pennsylvania:

[ul]
[li]You have to know where to go to get ID and what documentation and money to bring with you. You can find this out online. If you are poor and don’t have internet access, finding this information can be extraordinarily difficult. (Yes, libraries have computers. Libraries also have limited hours or, in some places, like the entirety of the city of Philadelphia, the 6th largest city in the U.S., no longer exist at all.)[/li][li]You’ll need an official Birth Certificate or Passport. An official Birth Certificate costs $10 and you have to either go to a State Office Building (not available everywhere in the state) and apply in person, which means during work hours M-F or print a form from the website (see internet access issues from above) or apply online, which requires a credit card and ups the cost to $18. A passport costs $100 and the majority of Americans don’t have one.[/li][li]You have to have two proofs of residency, which are limited to the sorts of documents that homeowners/leaseholders have. If you live with someone, and your name isn’t on the lease or the utility bills, you have to bring the homeowner/leaseholder and their ID with you when you apply for your ID, and you’ll still need to bring some of your mail to show that you live where you say you live.[/li][li]If your name has changed because of adoption, marriage or divorce, you’ll have to bring certified copies of those documents with you, as well. Those are also not available for free nor easily obtained if you’re not online.[/li][li]Now you have to go to apply for the ID, with your second person in tow, and you’ll have to know that even though you’re not getting a driver’s license, you’ll still need to go to a driver’s license center. Which are in places designed to be easily accessed by a car. There are a few in the cities that are on public transportation lines. If you live in suburban or rural counties, I hope you can get a ride. (That might require a third person be involved in the process.) Fortunately these are open on Saturdays for those who work M-F. You’ll need to have a check or money order for $12. Not cash, not a debit or credit card. And plenty of time to sit and wait. Gotta bring your kids along? Oh, they’ll have a swell time. Have a physical problem and can’t sit or stand for a long time. Oops. Sorry.[/li][/ul]
Now, getting the picture of why not everyone over 18 doesn’t have a state issued ID?

Almost spit coffee all over my keyboard.

It’s early, my sense of humor synapses aren’t all firing yet.