Little things in song lyrics that piss you off

in new order’s crystal, bernard sumner sings:

here comes love, it’s like honey
you can’t buy it with money

now, bernard has never been the best lyricist. but this is truly awful.

first, he rhymes ‘honey’ with ‘money’. jesus fuck! never heard that one before! it’s up there with city and pretty, or moon and june.

but most importantly, it’s a stupid metaphor. unlike love, i *can buy honey! it’s available from the local supermarket. a couple of dollars will buy you a jar? hasn’t bernard ever heard of the grocery section before?

still a great song, though.
also, the get up kids cover of motley crue’s on with the show. now, i’ve never heard the orginal, and i really don’t think i want to, not being a huge fan of hair-metal. but the get up kids’ version is a sparkly piece of emo-pop. it’s all very nice except for the horrendous lyrics. i spose their only excuse is that they didn’t pen them.

on with the show is a stupid mawkish ballad about a tough kid who lives on the streets and dies on them, or some shit. the lyrics are awful.

just look - you really do need to see the whole thing to appreciate how awful it is.

<hijack>Can someone please tell just waht exactly IS “emo-pop”? This term has been nagging at me.</hijack>

My ex-boyfriend hated, just hated the Live line “If the mother goes to bed with you…” In the full context of the song, it’s not really that disturbing, but that line is so clear compared to the others that it seems a little isolated. He found it used to bring icky thoughts to mind.

A bad Rush Lyric. Yup. In the song “Alien Shore”, Neil Peart (a.k.a. the best lyricist on the planet) must have had an offday.

For you and me
We hold these truths to be self-evident
For you and me
We’d elect each other president

Yikes, Neil. Back to the drawing board!

Of course, this pales when compared to Mötley Crüe’s “Kickstart my Heart”.

The entire song’s lyrics are pretty stupid, but this:

skydive naked
from an aeroplane
or a lady with a
body from outerspace
my heart, my heart
kickstart my heart

…just completely tells it all. :slight_smile:

This is bizarre – I had a random annoying song lyric just lodge itself in my head not ten minutes ago, and then I come here, and find a ready-made place to vent.

(You folks are the greatest – no, really.)

Anyway, it’s a song by The Judybats, though I can’t remember which one. (Just searched because it was really annoying me – the song is “Is Anything.”)

The line, which is semi-shouted at the end of the song, is:

and is repeated, if I remember correctly, twice.

I usually like Jeff Heiskell’s lyrics; he has a lot of nice wordplay and some interesting views of life. But this line drives me screaming bugfuck every time I hear it.

Repeat after me: “Receive? What the hell are you expecting to receive?! Just lying around thinking is not going to get you anything! Don’t just wonder – get the hell off your ass and do something!!!

Pant pant. Feels good to get that off my chest.

The old Norman Greenbaum song “Spirit in the Sky” makes me want to scream:“Shut up you smug,pretentious bastard!” when I hear the line:“Never been a sinner, I never sinned.”

Be fair now. She’s not asking whether you would want to see god if seeing god would mean that you had to believe in god, but rather (as the next line indicates), whether you would want to see god if seeing god meant that you would also have to believe in “things like heaven and in Jesus and the saints and all the prophets”.

Oddly, I did not realize until I ran a Google search on this song (wanted to make sure I quoted the lyric correctly) that the song is “What if God Was One of Us” rather than the grammatically correct “What if God Were One of Us”. I always seem to mentally correct this error, so it never bothers me in any of the many songs that make it.

Lines like the following. (This is from Sharryl Crowe’s latest—and I just realized I have no idea how to spell her name)

I’ve got a commie job
It don’t pay near enough
To buy the things I need
To win me some of your love.

ACK! How much money does it cost to win someone’s love? What exactly do you need to win someone’s love? A car? Jewelry? A horse? What? And songwriters make references like this all of the time!

I’ve always wondered what Paul McCartney meant when he sang :

“The movement you need is on your shoulder”.

But then again, I’ve heard he wonders the same thing!

Well, it is probably an insane notpick . In the excellent song by U2 Pride (In the Name of Love) the lyric goes:

Early morning
April 4
Shot rings out
In the Memphis Sky

It is referencing the assasination of Martin Luther King, but he was shot late in the evening not the morning! OK, I understand it is stupid of me to complain and literary license and all that, but now that I know it I cannot help listening to the song and muttering under my breath…“Evening, not morning, evening!”

Caricci, he wanted to take that line out, but John said he liked it, so Paul kept it in. Now everytime he sings it, he of course, thinks of John.

Well, that’s his story and he’s sticking to it.

Oh, here’s one from Don Henley that drives me nuts. In “The ENd of the Innocence,” he sings…

“Lay your head back on the ground,
And let your hair fall all around me.”

Don… if the girl is lying back on the ground, this little thing called GRAVITY would prevent her hair from falling over you.

This one has always bugged me:

In “Happy Together” by the Turtles he sings…
“The only one for me is you, and you for me, so happy together.” Uh, didn’t you just repeat yourself? For me…you and you for me. Same thing!

Thank you for listening.

My pet peeve is the use of I when “me” is called for. Example, in Melissa Etheridge’s Yes I Am

Grrr. Just to rhyme with the word “santify” in the next couplet which isn’t used correctly either. Icky, icky, bad, Melissa.

Btw, Jeremy’s Evil Twin, Tom Petty is from Florida, not SoCal. He’s said that he’s never actually been to Reseda, and just heard the name in a movie.

I’d lay money that he cribbed it from [i[The Karate Kid*.

Isn’t it short for “the only one for me is you, and the only one for you is me”? It seems to make sense to me.

By the way I’m with you, tlw. What’s the song that has the line “for the sake of you and I”? I hated the line so much I had to turn the radio off every time that song started.

Yeah, they really ruin it for the rest of us.

ahh yes, but bono has since realised his error, and sung ‘evening’ in concert.

actual term is ‘emo’, i used emo-pop because the song in question can be described as pop-influenced emo.

in this thread, killerfig described emo as

which is a pretty good description as far as i’m concerned.

also a good discussion of emo in this thread.

Ahh… now I understand. basking in the glow of enlightenment Thanks.

The song "Turning Japanese has one of the most annoying lyrics ever. “I want a doctor to take your picture, so I can look at you from inside as well.” Everyone else in the entire world seems to like this song, but I hate it because of this lyric. Not only is it stupid, but think about it, it’s gross.

Also, in that song “The Way You Do the Things You Do” the line “If good looks were a minute, you know you could have been an hour” has always bugged the crap out of me. Argh! It’s a terrible metaphor!

And “Hey 98.6, it’s good to have you back again.” He’s singing to his friggin’ temperature.

I’m glad I’m finally able to get some of this off my chest! :rolleyes:

Well yes, but the narrator of the song is obviously nuts so as stupid and gross as the line is, it fits in perfectly.

The worst line in that song is “Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger.” What the heck is a cyclone ranger?