Liz Truss tries to lead the UK {and resigns as of 2022-10-20}

Not really for the energy companies. It’s the exact same cash they’d have gotten from the taxpayers/consumers directly in the form of payments for energy consumed at the current market price.

Sucks that tomorrow’s taxpayers will be paying for the energy consumed by today’s taxpayers who paid a reduced / subsidized rate for some few months.

Not quite. Energy companies can’t collect money from consumers who don’t have it.

On the other hand, energy companies can be taxed on the windfall once government changes hands…

The visible hand of government giveth and the visible hand of government taketh away.

Yet to read thread, but like John Oliver’s summing her up as Margaret Thatcher if she were high on glue.
From what I’ve seen of her so far, and the attendant buzz, the two words that I think best describe her would be “awkward” and “dim”.
So mindbogglingly disheartening to think that even if she got a non-confidence vote, it’d be Boris again.
Fawlty should be running the show.

Hopefully she won’t last. She is so wooden and uncomfortable with public speaking she might actually make her opponent Kier Starmer look like a lively and interesting candidate with a personality.

One of the most important skills of a politician, besides timing, is selecting a doofus for an opponent. The folks who get both those right usually go far. Starmer may be the luckiest Labourite in quite a few years.

If all else fails, at least Truss has got QUEXIT done.

That is cold. Funny, but cold. :wink:

This is one of the scariest videos I’ve seen in a while.

All about the pork.

I think John Oliver showed that clip on his show.

Pretty sweet for the companies.

…and for all the pension funds. Who us most iterested in pension funds? City traders and older people, whjo are more likely to vote Tory .

I refer you to my previous comment:

And the cheese. Don’t forget the cheese. “That. Is. A. Disgrace”

“And the lord sayeth onto you. Thy cheese exports are a disgrace, for they are shameful in my father’s sight.”

Today’s “fiscal event” went well then. A (further) run on the pound - now down to incredible $1.10. An extra 0.5% has been added to the cost of government borrowing in a single day. The FTSE is down over 2%. Good job Tories.

The idea of massively cutting taxes in the hope that the economy booms has been disproven before though I suppose every scenario is unique. It’s a silver bullet if it works, but the markets seem to think underneath that silver is a bullet made of wood.

And it’s also odd that on the one hand the Bank of England is trying to reduce interest rates by cooling the economy, and on the other the government is trying to heat the economy with tax giveaways, including to the richest few for… reasons.

The gamble however (and it is a gamble) is a decent one for the Tories. If it works, happy days. If it doesn’t the next Labour government will be forced to play into their stereotype and raise taxes, all without being able to invest heavily in public services. And that will give the Tories an opportunity to reset and win back power quickly.

I’ve seen their fiscal policies described today as “cargo cult conservatism”. They are emulating what the Thatcher government did without understanding why the Thatcher government did them nor whether doing the same thing under current circumstances makes a damn bit of sense.

The Truss government are hoping that if they keep doing the same tango steps that worked before, they’ll win the dance competition now. Unfortunately the orchestra is now playing a waltz.

More knowledgeable people will be able to do a fine-grained analysis of the many ways in which the circumstances facing Thatcher are different from those facing Truss, but even I know that:

THATCHER HAD A BONANZA OF NORTH SEA OIL MONEY SHE COULD THROW AT PROBLEMS BASICALLY FOR FREE WHILE TRUSS HAS YET TO DISCOVER VAST RARE EARTH MINERAL DEPOSITS CONVENIENTLY PLACED IN OH LETS SAY HAMPSHIRE

My analogy would be the “Barber boom” that ran into the buffers soon enough.

That is certainly exactly the play the Republicans have run by the Democrats here in the USA for the last, oh, 50 years. Seems to work OK for them. Perhaps the Tories can heave this one over the top one more time. I’d like to hope your lot of the general public would be quicker learners than ours, but the evidence for that seems thin on the ground.

It would depend on the timing and circumstances of the next election. IF this shows signs of working as they hope, and IF the financial buffers aren’t too closely in view, and IF inflation slows or turns down, and IF the NHS and other public services manage to stagger on without visible collapse, she MIGHT be able to find a sweet spot to time the election, possibly next autumn.

But as with the Barber budget of 1972, circumstances could upset the applecart. Then, it was the OPEC oil crisis, plus trades unions agitating to catch up with inflation and a miners’ strike and all that. Now, we don’t know how the Ukraine situation will go on affecting us all, or whether there will be sufficient real growth to replenish the coffers for the public services and the less well off, and we don’t know how much industrial unrest there will be.

And it all might still result in a hung Parliament.