Locked out!

A neighbor and I have spares of each other keys under our doormats. If anybody finds it, they will have no way of knowing whose door it fits.

Neither of us has ever had to use it, but just in case.

:slight_smile:

:oLocked out I could see the keys on the table and I had a cat door. With a hand rake tied to the clothes prop I was able to reach the keys and drag them toward me.

The second time this happened I was wearing only a longish t shirt and a pair of knickers :eek: Thank goodness for the pair of dampish jeans on the washing line, I did not want the neighbours to happen on me lying on the ground outside my door fishing for my keys.

I hate to point out the flaw in that plan, but all anybody has to do is try both keys.

There’s only one key per house.

This happened to us Thursday. Came home and the garage door wouldn’t open with the remote. The battery had been getting weaker so I tried the remote entry thing. Finally figured out that the power was out: I went to check if the thing on the meter was turning. But it was a new meter and the LCD screen was blank. Ooooh.

I had my “light” set of keys and Mrs. FtG didn’t have her purse so no door keys.

Turned out to be surprisingly easy to get into the house. Going to the hardware store today to get some extra keys made and some stuff to beef up the place I got in.

Oh, OK. That didn’t occur to me.

JUST YESTERDAY - in teens-degree weather - I was getting gas, turned to my drivers door, and it was locked! I instantly KNEW the keys were in the ignition and my wallet with my AAA card and my cellphone were visible on the seat. :eek:

So - I know that no one is home - but it’s only 2 miles away - walkable or hitchhikeable - but I probably can’t get in - but I could probably call the local wrecker service who is a AAA provider - or maybe get the AAA hotline and try to be identified. Don’t panic, don’t panic…finish getting some gas, you’ll need it to get to work on Monday…

So as I stared at my forelorn wallet and phone a second time. I realize the passenger door appears unllocked! I finish with the gas fill up, tiptoe to the other side, and the door opens! I don’t know how the first door became locked - maybe an unconscious push of the mechanical lock button?

Now I remember my Dad’s advice, “Tie a spare key into a hidden spot with COPPER wire.” (No clunky boxes or magnets and it can’t rust away). That’s my project for this week.

Which is fine until the wire itself corrodes away from electrogalvanic reaction between bare copper and the metal of the key (zinc? nickel? brass?) Well, maybe the insulation of the wire will prevent that from happening.

Still, consider a sturdy plastic zip-tie instead?

Bolding mine.

Then always carry a pair of dikes on your person. Never in your purse. Because you’ll need the dikes to cut the wire tie to get the key out of the hiding spot.