Logan's Run: a realization (movie spoilers)

Dorothy was revered like a queen in magical, colorful Oz, and she chose to go back to life as a provincial, dirt-poor farm girl!

Or how about It’s A Wonderful Life? George decides it’s okay that he’s never achieved his dreams. And if George had never lived, Nick the bartender would have had his name up in neon lights.

The movie of The Wizard of Oz is a straightforward story of the power grab by Glinda. Just before the film opened, there a was an uneasy balance of power in Oz, with the ambitions of the Witches of the East and West thwarted by their fears of retribution from the Powers in the North and the City. Glinda may appear flighty, but she is no idiot; she knows that the Wizard is a paper tiger and thus unable to effectively block any incursions by the Winkies or a Munchkin levy.

Glinda took advantage of a flying house to wipe out the Witch of the East, set up Dorothy as her catspaw to destroy the Witch of the West using mundane weapons (the Witch would have depended upon her Winkie guards too much for non-magical defenseand her own abilities to ward against any eldritch threats), and lured the Wizard into making brash promises which led to his removal from the scene.

Glinda then sends Dorothy back to her own world, leaving no one in Oz who would question how she became the ONLY magic user left in the country…

The Wizard of Oz? Endor holocaust? What are you talking about?

Think about what will happen to the fragile ecosystem of a forest moon when gigatonnes of flaming DeathStar debris impacts the surface.

Love Is a Funny Thing (1969)
Myra Breckinridge (1970)

Better yet, read all about the gory details of the Endor Holocaust.

In addition to what Fiver said re TWOO, think about the reason Dorothy ran away to begin with. To get Toto away from Miss Gulch, who was taking him to the sheriff to be killed. So not only did Dorothy leave a fabulous magical place where she was regarded as a national heroine and confidant to the ruling elite to go back to her dismal dead-end dirt farm, but her dog’s still going to be killed.

Think he’ll stay with the Lakers?

Ah the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Declan

You know, using a Trek quote to explain an event in a Star Wars movie has got to be some kind of a felony.

Could be worse.

The above quote is from the link supplied upstream.

Makes me wonder if the new republic and troops are going to be brought to book , in an intergalactic court, for this horrifying holocaust.

And to think , I paid money to watch 5 movies , one hour of dismay with a television special, most of the starwars books to date.

I have aided and abetted George lucas in his final solution for the ewoks.

May god have mercy on my soul

Declan

Did the citizens of the City of Domes even have a choice? It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the movie, granted, but I seem to remember that they didn’t choose to be free—Logan’s interrogation just blew everything up. How many of the citizens even had any idea of what was going on, before the explosions started?

Miracle on 34th st - A level headed, self-sufficent young girl is persuaded that there really is some belevolent patriarch on who she should rely to fufill her needs…

No doubt leading to her three divorces and problems with alcohol.

Hmmm…I started a thread about happy endings that wern’t really so happy and it sunk like a stone :frowning: Still seems like a good topic to me.

Renew! RENEW! RENEW! RENEW!

They were doomed already because the infrastructure of the City was beginning to collapse. Remember Box and the ice cavern with the frozen Runners preserved in ice? It was Box’s job to receive food sources and freeze them, then supply The City with the food as needed: “Fish, and plankton, and sea greens, and protein from the sea. It’s all here. Ready! Fresh as harvest day!” But he also mentions that the food stopped coming and “they” (the Runners) started. At least outside, there would be some hope of survival, though they would probably be plundering the ruins of the City for resources initially.

Could be raining.

Wait, didn’t they show some hydroponic tanks inside the city, which had presumably made Box obsolete?

Now that I think of it, they might have been abandoned hydroponic tanks…I guess I need to see the movie again.

Hey, look what I found on IMDB:

21?

… Jesus.

I’m not sure I like that particular change…