Logging and cutting trees vs loss of property value

I was interested in this thread from the start, as I have 2 heavily wooded, never developed acres on the outskirts of Charleston County, SC. I spoke the SC forestry folks and they suggested I first have someone tell me what trees I have before making any decisions about logging, as there are very occasionally fine furniture-grade trees found in that county that are sought after by furniture makers in the Carolinas. The above comment about it being like family jewelry makes perfect sense to me in that way!
They said mahogany might be found but that didn’t seem right to me; I didn’t think it was found that far north.
This has been a very interesting thread for me!!

<slight hijack>
This thread makes me think of a court case here in Stockholm. A home owner in a suburb had some trees cut down, apparently in an attempt to get a better view over the water and thereby raise the value of his house. The snag is they didn’t grow on his own property. The neighbours were rightly very pissed off and the land owner, the town of Stockholm, has demanded the equivalent of about 640 000 USD in damages. It will be very interesting to see the outcome.
</slight hijack>

Was it a mistake, or did he just secretly go out and cut down some trees on public land?

It was definitely not a mistake. He hired some people who came in a boat, cut the trees down in spite of protests from neighbours who saw them, loaded the logs on board the boat and drove away before they could be stopped.

I’ve been searching for information regarding logging. I purchased 47 acres of land and over half is wooded. I know that it was logged once approximately 30 years ago. One of the neighbors recently logged a portion of their land. We plan to build on the property in a few years. I’m trying to figure out whether or not we should consider logging a portion of it now. I know the property has a lot of oak and poplar as well as some hickory and ash.

The neighbor that had some logged didn’t appear to me to do it in a very selective manner. If I go that route I want to make sure that it’s completed in a way that won’t be totally destructive. Where can you find information about reputable companies to do this and how do you even begin to know what the timber is worth?

I’m not an expert but my husband has some property in Vermont that has a logging plan. Basically, about every 20 years they log it, but it is not clear cut. They take only the mature trees that are appropriate to be logged. It sounds like your neighbor is just clear cutting on a small piece of property.

From purely a logging perspective it probably doesn’t make any difference. But certainly he is degrading the value of his land. And there is no need to clear cut. I doubt that every tree on the property was worth harvesting. So he’s probably just hurting himself.

Talk with your local state agricultural extension agent. It wouldn’t hurt to also talk with you state DNR. Not only might you have some valuable timber (dollar-wise) but their could be local, county or even state restrictions on harvesting some tree species.

My husband has a contract with a “forester”, who does all the planning and marks the trees. The forester hires the logger who actually cuts them. The forester also makes sure the logger is doing the job properly. My husband is using the forester that his father used, and doesn’t know how he found him. But I would bet if you ask around, or go to your town hall, etc. you might be able to find a recommendation for a forester.

I was wondering, would it be possible to plany young mahogany trees in Washington and Oregon states, grow them to maturity and harvest them? Would the wood (pardon the pun) be different from mahogany trees grown in warmer climates? Would it be possible to have tree plantations ( a large swath of land filled with valuable trees such as hickory, oak, mahogany, etc.) in vastly different areas of the U.S. and just selectively harvest them? Of course, I’m no expert but that sounds like a neat idea.

Well there’s trees and then there’s trees. Sure, clear-cutting provides more potential for increased value in the form of development than a complete forest canopy does, but clearcut lots with only houses on them are, to use a technical term, fugly. I’d personally pay more than 10% more for a house in a lot with several large trees on it than a completely clearcut lawn.

I don’t know if it’s possible to get out most of the trees from a lot but leave a few outstanding ones. All I know is that I’d rather live in a rundown house in an old, relatively crowded suburb/light urban/small town area if it had trees and sidewalks than a McMansion on its own acre or two in a clearcut lot with no sidewalk.

Mahogany is a protected species and is only grown in its native locations. Assuming it could be grown elsewhere, probably not in the Pacific Northwest because of geography, weather and general natural conditions would make it unsuitable. Politically it would be a invasive species.