Lollipop or Sucker?

Lollipop. Raised in eastern Long Island.

Lollipop (because of the song)

30s, grew up in Kentucky. It’s a sucker.

Lollipops are indeed disc shaped only, as Rhiannon8404 said, however they’re still suckers.

All lollipops are suckers. Not all suckers are lollipops.

60s, Ohio.

Sucker.

20, Australia. I say lollipop.

Other: it depends on the size and shape. They’re all suckers unless they are fairly large, flat and round–those are lollipops.

Well, those with stuff inside them are also not suckers–they’re whatever-pops: e.g. Blowpops or Tootsie (Roll) pops. I guess those are derived from lollipop.

Born and bred here in northwest Arkansas in the very middle of the 80s.

EDIT: powdery candy were usually sourpops or sweettart pops. But you could still call them suckers. The chewy ones (like taffy or Tootsie Rolls) could also be called chewpops.

60s Illinois

Sucker

Lollipop always sounded a little twee.

Mid-50s, grew up in West Texas and have always said “sucker.” I only ever heard “lollipop” in movies and such.

Until I came over here. There is Lollipop go-go bar in Nana Plaza. And a new blow-job bar opened about a year ago called Lollipop1, the “1” added so as not to get confused with the go-go bar.

I only hear older people call them suckers.

Although there’s a sucker born every minute.

Lollipop. Grew up in Baltimore, and have lived in L.A. for the past 20 years.

I didn’t know “sucker” was a regionalism and still in common use. It sounds very old-fashioned to my ears, like something Grandpa Simpson or Mr. Burns would use.

26, WI

To me, suckers have always been the cheapies, like the DumDums that I buy by the bag.

Lollipops are the pricier, gourmet ones that I buy by the piece. Also- usually last for the better part of an hour.

It’s the opposite here. Lollipops are disk-shaped and flat sided, whereas suckers are spherical.

26, Michigan.

This is the distinction I remember growing up in Chicago.

Definitely sucker, regardless of shape, but I wouldn’t think it strange for someone to call it a lollipop, just not what I 'd say.

Age 33 - grew up in RI, lollipop.

My husband, same age, grew up in CO, and calls them suckers.

Lollipop - South African, from 70s on.

Here, a sucker is a flavoured ice lolly on a stick (Popsicle).

Lollipops are big, suckers are small enough to fit in your mouth.

43, spent my childhood in Mississippi, sucker.

They’re all suckers to me. I’ve always known the term lollipop, I just don’t use it myself and I don’t differentiate based on the size or shape of the candy. I’m 28, raised in Indiana.