Long Covid - what's the prevalence and prognosis?

Someone I know is raving about ivermectin as a treatment (and preventative) for CV and long haulers. Claims that it’s been approved by “the government” for treatment of CV, but I’ve not been able to find any verification, just a few studies with very mixed results. (This person is easily persuaded by any YouTube video. )

@needscoffee no no no

The ‘government’ has not approved of ivermectin for Covid, quite the opposite at this point (from the FDA website):

A: No. While there are approved uses for ivermectin in people and animals, it is not approved for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19. You should not take any medicine to treat or prevent COVID-19 unless it has been prescribed to you by your health care provider and acquired from a legitimate source.

A recently released research articleExternal Link Disclaimer described the effect of ivermectin on SARS-CoV-2 in a laboratory setting. These types of laboratory studies are commonly used at an early stage of drug development. Additional testing is needed to determine whether ivermectin might be appropriate to prevent or treat coronavirus or COVID-19. Read more about ivermectin.

Yes, I’ve seen these sites, having equal access to Google. And I’ve read some of the studies. The claim is that the approval just happened, which I doubt, as there’s nothing available newer than March 1 online anywhere.

I did see that South Africa has approved it for benevolent case use, but that’s a far cry from “the government”.

There are long term effects of many diseases that are similar to covid, so it’s not a new thing.

It may not be unique to Covid, but it’s still pretty prevalent if you’ve had covid.

6-month neurological and psychiatric outcomes in 236 379 survivors of COVID-19: a retrospective cohort study using electronic health records

Carrot juice and black strap molasses are also very helpful.

But what about apple cider vinegar and gin-soaked raisins? And maybe some Vick’s VapoRub?

Article today in WaPo:

Now, the National Institutes of Health might wade into the controversy. It is planning a randomized clinical trial to explore whether older, already approved drugs can be repurposed to reduce covid-19 symptoms, according to three individuals who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plans have not been announced. Ivermectin is considered a top candidate for the trial, though the details are not final, the individuals said. Other possibilities are fluvoxamine, a decades-old antidepressant, and famotidine, the generic name for Pepcid, outside scientists said. The goal would be to get results within months.

The outpatient trial would be the latest in a series of studies, conducted with academia and industry, in NIH’s Accelerating Covid-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines program. The initiative has scrutinized monoclonal antibodies, blood thinners and other agents. Such trials, experts say, are as important in determining what doesn’t work, as what does.

FDA is going to be playing quite a game of rapidly reproducing whack-a-lotta-moles if their goal is to debunk every remedy QAnon et al can profitably popularize to their beknighted followers.