Long hair in the army

Google must be broken. I can’t get an image of the sort of wig being discussed here. What the devil is a short hair wig? Is it like one of those “bald guy” latex skull caps with high & tight fuzz glued on it?

If you never saw drug use or lax grooming standards, you weren’t paying attention. There were still rules for beards, but they were abused. I never saw anyone marched to the barber shop and suspect that you never did either.

In my days, Army hair standards were relaxed a bit - it had to be off the ears & collar. So, wigs like this would have worked.

My father was in the National Guard in the 70’s and 80’s, working in the supply section. Has has told me of the enormous hat sizes they had to stock for the wig wearers. When I enlisted in '89, I saw no sign of wig wearers.

SNIP

Just FYI, the original poster that asked this question passed away 12 years ago.

When I was a student at Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California, there was one Sikh student, a US Army Staff Sergeant, who had long hair in a turban and a beard. He was an outstanding soldier, too.

There has been a religious exemption in Army regulations for decades. It was rarely granted but several Sikhs were able to get it. Almost 2 years ago the Army made the process easier. I don’t know what that did to recruitment numbers.

I remember the song in Mad. I assumed it was meant as a joke suggestion, not a reference to anything that had actually taken place.

The words (sung to “The Caisson Song”) started out:

“At Fort Dix, at Fort Knox, we will hide our bushy locks
As we draftees, are keeping, our hair”

Just how does one make the long-hair-under-a-short-wig thing work, as in looking even somewhat natural? A head of long hair has substantial bulk. Is the cap part of the wig so tight it squashes down the real hair, or loose enough that the wearer can tuck it all underneath? And wouldn’t either one make the wearer’s head look oversized or lumpy?

I’ve got long hair, and i have a hard time stuffing it under a spandex hood or even a watch cap so that it doesn’t look funny.