Look, cow-orker, I'd love to help the child IF SHE EXISTED!!

Oh, of course. I guess I forgot to mention that it’s a winning result no matter how it happens.

Tdn brings up a good question. Wasn’t it yoplait that did a promotion where they sent in some amount of money for each product lid you sent them?

Why not just donate the cash?

I believe so, yes. We’ve had a couple MPSIMS threads where we made up “fun factoids” that were supposed to be just real enough to believe (like the infamous echoing quack thing). I don’t know if any of them ever got sent out, but it was fun.

While glurge isn’t nearly as big a problem as spam, ISP’s are using up tons of unnecessary bandwidth. Yes, email is free, but ultimately it costs SOMEONE to send it. I think you should send this information along with your snopes link. Anyone know of a cite that says “x% of all the data transfered through the internet is silly, false, unwanted crap”?

I think one of the worst things in the world is the mindless “Okay, if you say so” attitude. There was a meme on LJ a few months ago that said “98% of teens have tried pot. If you’re one of the 2% that hasn’t, copy this into your own journal.” I did a little googling; turns out it’s more like 50%, and yet people just keep on copying.

I think the best ones are the ones that the AOL servers send me to make sure I’m still using AIM, via IM. Did I mention that’s via my friends, via IM. :rolleyes: It’s a bit like this except it deals with AIM instead of hotmail. And it’s usually in bright pink comic sans with a green background. I’ve only gotten this about twice, and once I started asking the person if she thought it was really realistic (Why don’t they send me the message directly? They can’t track individual IMs, because they don’t process them (click on ICQ, and look at item #10), etc.) and she said “Oh yeah, I don’t know, I just decided to follow along with it.”

Why, why, why?! :confused: :smack: :mad:

What BLOWS about the people who make up this crap is that there is a genuine need to fundraise in many medical cases.
For instance, transplant patients, in addition to upfront copays, potential hotel stays, etc., have to pay out of pocket a portion of their lifetime Immunisuppressant drugs-comes to about $200 a month, for life, for a liver.
Some programs encourage them to fundraise several thousand dollars just to get through the first year alone; hospital owes it to the donor to make sure the recipient can afford organ maintenance.

But people who legimitately try to do this over the 'net may be looked upon with extreme suspicion. Same with the little jars in rural gas stations. (C’mon, don’t many of us think, “Is this for real or a scam to get money?”)

Preying on the misfortunes of others to make a quick buck, while probably one of the oldest tricks in the book, is nonetheless beyond despicable.

Often that child DOES exist, and if people are unable or willing to research each case properly (and who has that time?), makes it harder…

I think that’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever read on this Board.

I’ll just be over in the corner sobbing quietly.

Because that wouldn’t get more people to buy Yoplait products.

When I received the pull-tabs-for-dialysis email from a woman in my office, I privately emailed her, explaining that it wasn’t so, along with several cites.

Several days later, she informed me that the Ronald McDonald House was ‘sponsoring’ the pull-tabs gathered. When I pressed for what this meant , she said that in response to all the gathering done, RMH was paying cash for dialysis in exchange for pull-tabs.

I have no idea whether this is true, and I don’t know which possibility is more disheartening – that people will cling to falsehoods so stubbornly, or that corporate charities have concluded it’s better to subsidize the falsehoods.

Bingo. It’s supposed to be an all-around win-win situation, with the consumer enjoying the product, sending in the lids and feeling good about it, and the company making a donation to the cause.

Fine, but I still kinda wish I could write it off like I do my other donations.

Plus, I believe whoever makes Yoplait had a minimum donation they were going to give anyway.

Well, of course that’s what I was getting at… I just was wondering if there is any other reason they would ever set up that kind of promotion.

I guess not…