Looks Like the End For MG Rover

:smiley: Thanks Polycarp–that made me laugh!

Are American Cars still considered second to those from Japan and Europe?

Over here they are all but invisible. The yanks have never been able to sell their cars anywhere other than in their own domestic market.

We think they’re underpowered gas guzzlers. They’re also too big for the European environment.

My Jeep Cherokee is about the same length as a Honda Accord, and its four litre straight-six has plenty of power. It does suck the gas, though (average 20 mpg if I’m careful).

Actually the Jeep cherokee is one of the few yank-tanks that sell s well over here. However they are only bought by a certain sort of person - a chav.

In 1976 Lucas started making and selling vacuum cleaners for home use. It was the only product they ever made that didn’t suck.

The three positions on a Lucas head light switch
Dim, flicker, and off
The other three positions?
Smoke, smolder, and flame

Thank you, I’ll be here all week
:smiley:

I am having a slow day. Care to expand?

What’s a ‘chav’, for us colonials?

A common, low class, person. Cherokees are very popular with these sort of people along with “bling” and scratter’s dogs.

In the past the government could intervene in a situation like this. The EU forbids this.

The sort of person who would be in favour of Government intervention is the sort of person who would be in favour of Britain’s membership of the EU. (Personally, I am against both)

Not really - i’m strongly pro-Europe but that doesn’t mean i can’t spot a Lame Duck when i see one.

It would appear that you have at least one lame duck blind spot! Even the French are going off the EU.

Well that mean’s we should definitely be more pro-European then. We all know England and France shouldn’t agree on anything anyway. Just isn’t cricket.

Funny people the French, do some strange things with frogs don’tcha know…

How does the ‘man in the street’ feel about MG Rover going into receivership? Are most people like Casdave, and say ‘good riddance’? Or do they mourn the passing of a British Institution?

Seen on a tshirt once; A man receiving an articifial heart and asking the Doctor “What do you mean its made by Lucas?”

The demise of MG Rover has been long and painful. A shame when some cars were actually quite desirable over the years that everything else could be so fouled up.

I doubt he’ll be greatly moved. He certainly wasn’t motivated to buy their lacklustre cars. BMW made the smart move by keeping the Morris factory at Cowley and the MINI production line - only car people actually wanted to buy; they are substantially back-ordered on it.

Mk VII: I’ve always been curious about your username. Is it from the Vickers-Supermarine?

no, it’s from the .303 Mk VII cartridge

Aha. I have an SMLE. I’ve never fired it.

Eh? When I was in Winchester, every third car appeared to be a Ford. Which was a big shock coming from London where you couldn’t find a Ford if you tried.