Lose weight by quitting coffee?

Also, caffeine increases insulin tolerance, which means your body has to make more insulin to get the same response. This can lead to high blood sugar, which can lead to other unhappiness.

I quit drinking all forms of caffeine about two months ago, and I’ve lost about five pounds, but there’s some other stuff going on for me as well.

My trainer told me to knock off the coffee and sub in green tea, which I did. I don’t know if I’m any less tubby for it, though. I didn’t drink it with cream or sugar to begin with, I think her concern was that it dehydrated me or something. I am getting to sleep much much better. Also, I don’t really like green tea so I drink one in the morning to feel like I’m drinking a hot “wakeup” drink and then I spend the rest of the day sipping water.

Word. Two weeks ago I stopped caffeine completely. I’ve also cut out red meat, and all sugars and carbos. But…god…the caffeine. I’m an International Delight Hazelnut man, myself ). I do think there’s a connection.

I take a 52-ounce Brew Keg to work. Somehow I stay awake now, but I have lost some weight. I’m guessing the caffeine really makes a difference. Oh, and I switched to Coffemate Sugar Free Hazelnut.

Cartooniverse

Caridwen have you tried the fat-free half-and-half or the “skim supreme” (skim milk with the consistency of whole)? I very rarely go fat free with anything - I eat mostly whole foods and aim for lesser amounts of healthy fats.

However, the fat-free versions of half-and-half and whole milk are really pretty decent in coffee. I can just barely tell the difference.

I’ve never liked sugar in my coffee so I can’t help the OP with that. I used to be a barista and when I did make flavored espresso drinks for myself I’d put 1/4 of the regular amount of syrup in.

It doesn’t taste watery? I’m going to give the half & half a try, thanks!

No, the consistency and texture is fine (and I’m picky about those things). What tastes different is that it isn’t quite as sweet as regular h-n-h and the thickening agent they use (some sort of gum IIRC) doesn’t coat your teeth like milk fat.

The comments about green tea are interesting. I’ve cut back on the amount of coffee I usually drink, and have been drinking green tea like crazy. I hated it when I first tried it, but now I like it. I add some Sweet & Low and a dash of lemon, and it’s wonderful over ice.
(I still don’t like it hot, for some reason)
I just brewed a pot, as a matter of fact.

I’ve dropped about 12 pounds since the beginning of September. I’ve been eating pretty much the same, but have been getting more exercise. I take a bottle of iced green tea to rehydrate with. Interesting - I’ll give myself credit for moving my fat ass more, but I wonder if the green tea has anything to do with it.

Cutting back on your coffee consumption slowly will also likely help prevent those rebound headaches you might get because your body isn’t getting the caffeine it’s used to.

I rarely drink coffee, as I can’t stand the stuff unless it’s so doctored up that I can’t taste the coffeeness of it, and I don’t think there’s much point in drinking in that way.

Check this out for a compact summary. Note the following:

Of course, caffeine is also thermogenic, but the green tea catechins appear to not have the same effects on insulin sensitivity that caffeine does. It’s really an unsatisfying body of research out there on these subjects, but what little there is of reasonable quality is tantalizing.