Lost 1.19 (30MAR2005) "Deus Ex Machina" (spoilers)

I knew Swoozie Kurtz had to be crazy because she misused the phrase “Immaculate Conception” which is not the same thing as “Virgin Birth”.

I almost threw the remote through the TV at that mistake. Just bugs me.

Was the kid with the Mousetrap game Boone ?

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the kid at the toy store. And Boone mentioned the Theresa thing happened when he was 6… same time ?

It’s hard to know how far back they were going… did anyone notice the age of the cars in the parking lot when Locke got hit ? I thought Locke looked way younger than 4 years (the time of his paralysis)

That was pretty dirty, when he got right back up and kept running after Swoozie.

It was pretty amazing how young they made Locke look for the flashbacks. Then he looked old and haggard after the supposed “kidney incident”

It kinda freaked me out having “Roy DeSoto” be Locke’s Dad. In real life it just seams like O’Quinn is chronologically older. Especially after seeing O’Quinn on “The West Wing” repeats this weekend. Kevin Tighe does seem to play the swarmy con artist quite a bit. I used to have the biggest crush on Johnny Gage… ahhhh memories…

That was one of my two guesses. The other was “No, we’re the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815”, but I’ll go with what you got for now.

Does anyone know if closed captioning (for this show) is gospel, or if they just type what they think they hear?

In other news…one of the writers must have some real daddy issues. All the other weird dad stuff (listed in previous threads) and now Locke gets tricked out of a kidney! :frowning:
WTF! Couldn’t Pops Cooper at least pretend to still like him for a while and slowly let him down? :mad:

Oops, forgot.

Can someone please translate the Chinese character on Boone’s shirt.

I’ve asked in two previous threads and didn’t get an answer.

Hail Mary, full of…

smack!

Kudos to Terry O’Quinn–again. He is so consistently good and really made me feel Locke’s anguish in this episode, especially in the last ten minutes. He’s one of the most interesting and complex characters on the show. About the island, I agree with Antigen. It’s a trap but he doesn’t see that yet, or just doesn’t want to.

Loved Sawyer’s line about the lollipop.

Best line of the night tonight went to Jack, when Kate asked him to go check out Sawyer: “You know if I ask him, all I’ll get is a snappy one-liner. If I’m really lucky, I’ll get a new nickname.”

Also, it’s looking like Locke’s amazing survival skills may not be quite as amazing as we thought. He dropped that bird with his dad awfully easily - he must have had some sort of experience. And now that we know he wasn’t always in the wheelchair, that opens up more options for his past in that regard.

Oh, and can someone go back and check on what time Locke’s dad told him to show up for the hunt? Remember Locke showed up at 11, and his dad said he thought he told him to come at noon? I’m assuming daddy dearest did tell him to show up at 11 so as to set up the “accidental” discovery of his dialysis, but if someone could confirm that, I’d appreciate it.

I’m not sure if it’s one character or a string of them. The first part looks a lot like the number 8, and middle part looks a little like the number 10, but I’m not sure what the last part is. (It doesn’t add up to “815,” but wouldn’t that be tidy?) I’m pretty sure that the lowest part is in the character for “island,” but it’s sure to be in a number of other characters, too.

You can see the shirt at http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/images/gallery/ep109/gallery.html?photo=11 .

Anyhow, it’s not any of the random nouns and adjectives I know. If anyone could even explain whether it’s a simplified or a traditional character or maybe kanji, that would give us a start.

According to http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-24313/epid-366354/

the characters are Chinese for 84.

Locke is by far my favorite character, so I got so into the episode tonight that I kept thinking “Please, God, don’t let him become paralyzed again!” The whole business with him growing up in countless foster homes and then getting screwed over by his biological parents, was just too sad. What an awful life that man’s had.

So…, now Locke is openly speaking about the Island having desires, plans, rewards to give…

(Well, openly to Boone.)

In his mind, is he deifying the Island? It definitely seems to be more than a simple anthropomorphism or personification. To him, the Island has a personality, but being able to grant wishes or take them away puts the Island in a position of power over him. That’s why, whenever I hear Locke say “the Island,” I hear the capitalisation. How far can this line of speculation take us?

We already knew that. In earlier episodes we’ve learned that the accident that paralyzed Locke (and the separate (?) accident that put Michael in traction) both happened 4 years ago.

I’m just glad he didn’t get paralyzed at the same time as losing a kidney and his father. And you think you’ve had bad days.

I thought we’d find out how Locke was paralyzed in this episode.

What a pair of horrible parents. Shame shame shame! I kept expecting the guard to let him in, then tell Cooper, “I quit, you complete and total scumbag.”

Yeah, they better keep Charlie away from the plane. And Boone can’t die. His eyes are too pretty.

I loved Jack’s line at the end, “I didn’t do it for him.” Very nice.

We were teased a lot about his paralysis - was it the car in the parking lot? Or a hunting accident? Or a surgical accident? But then again, I think those events in the flashback took place more than four years ago, maybe 10 or 15.

I don’t remember Locke telling anyone he grew up in foster homes. When was that? Who did he tell?

You and me both. My non-Catholic husband and I had a REALLY long talk about this last night. He wonders if the misuse was deliberate. I wonder if the writers are just misinformed.

God, do I feel OLD! Good Ol’ Roy is now the FATHER of a guy who is at least in his FIFTIES???

I thought that the incident we saw was a subsequent hunting expedition, not the one Cooper mentioned when he first met John. The guard at the gate said something about them getting some birds “again”—so we don’t know what time Cooper actually asked John to be there, but I think, based on what happened afterwards, that his surprise at John’s “early” arrival was, shall we say, disingenuous.

Was the crashed plane a bigger version of the toy Kate got out of the case?

When Locke found the pistol on the body that was dressed like a priest, I thought “It’s Monsignor Montoya!” Vaya con dios.