[QUOTE=Othar the Tooth Collector]
In 1994, a runaway planet tears the Moon in two, causing huge catastrophes and leading to a world dominated by mutants, super-science, and sorcery! (Thundarr the Barbarian).
[/QUOTE]
Demon dogs! ![]()
[QUOTE=Othar the Tooth Collector]
In 1994, a runaway planet tears the Moon in two, causing huge catastrophes and leading to a world dominated by mutants, super-science, and sorcery! (Thundarr the Barbarian).
[/QUOTE]
Demon dogs! ![]()
Bumped.
In his 1976 sf novel Imperial Earth , which I just reread (set in 2276), Arthur C. Clarke wrote that the Gondwana reactor was destroyed due to sabotage “in the early twenty-first century.” He also refers to the first manned landing on Saturn’s large moon Titan in 2015, with the first permanent base there being established in 2046, so we’d better get cracking.
FYI: Orycon 30 was a success, and I learned something important.
I will NEVER do that again. 
I have been making a list for some time of movies that occur sometime near to the present year but which predict it very wrong. I created the list so that the book club I belong to can perhaps someday watch a few of them. Once a year we have a movie day which we spend watching movies with some kind of theme. Here’s my list:
2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, Akira, The Running Man, Soylent Green, The Terminator, Reign of Fire, Pacific Rim, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet, Roujin Z, Yesterday (2002), The Island (2005), Real Steel, Rollerball (1975), Mission to Mars, Robocop, A Clockwork Orange, A Scanner Darkly, Timecop, Escape from New York, Mad Max, Deathrace 2000, 1990: The Bronx Warriors, 2019: After the Fall of New York, Absolon, Americathon, Brick Mansions, Iron Sky, Annihilation Earth, I Robot, V for Vendetta, The 6th Day, Surrogates, Terminator Salvation, Back to the Future Part II, A Boy and His Dog, and Daybreakers
I didn’t read the OP carefully, so I didn’t realize that it was posted in 2007.
So… this thread is a lost future!
I too didn’t see the date and was going to drop in with comments and links… but mostly to say “LOVE the theme! Great idea.”
Huge congrats! I can’t imagine taking something like that on. But I can imagine saying “Never again”…
On March 15, 2017, President Frank Underwood, Democrat of South Carolina, resigned from office (House of Cards, Season 5).
Quite all right. It isn’t the first time that theme has been used and, Armageddon notwithstanding, it will be used again. If I see that some con is using a similar theme, I’ll pass your post along.
On Aug. 11, 2006, all-out war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union resulted in the extinction of all life on Earth, “from the bottom of the ocean to the top of the atmosphere; [with] not a cockroach, not a paramecium, not a virus” surviving, according to Joe Haldeman’s The Hemingway Hoax (1990).
My personal fan theory is that Dick Tracy takes place in an alternate universe where everybody still wears hats and trench coats. And people stop aging when their in their 30’s.
The date given at the start of the movie is May 9, 2021
ETA: is this the only “future dates that have passed” thread? I thought we had a couple of others but I couldn’t find them.
Bumped.
Here’s at least one other thread, Lumpy: The (SF) Futures Left Behind
Just rewatched V for Vendetta (2005), about a near-future Fascist Britain. The original graphic novel, released in 1989 and drawn from a serialized comic strip which ran from 1982-85, was set in the 1990s; the latest year shown on any computer screen in the movie is 2020.
This one was from Gold Key, and set in the near future:
In the awful 1987 miniseries Ameяika, the US surrendered to the USSR for no apparent reason right in the middle of Ronald Reagan’s second term.
The British miniseries An Englishman’s Castle (1978) was set in a UK that had lost WWII to the Germans.
Ernest Callenbach’s “Ecotopia,” published in 1975, has Washington, Oregon, and Northern California secede to form an independent green no-growth society in 1980. The novel picks up the story in 1999. If only!