Lost sound on computer; how do I get it back?

I hope this doesn’t come across as harsh or condescending, but if you don’t know what “reboot” means, you’d probably be better off taking your machine to a professional for repair. I’m serious - this is like trying to change a tire without knowing what a lug nut is.

I know what rebooting is. I can’t figure out how to do it, and old methods aren’t working.

I go to the library enough, I might as well use their computer whenever I want to listen to something online.

Start Menu -> Shut Down (I think, it’s been awhile since I’ve used XP), but if that doesn’t work, I just make sure everything is saved, close out of every program, and then hold down the power button on the box itself to reset. And, if for some reason that doesn’t work, just unplug and replug the darned thing.

A machine would have to be pretty ancient to have an outboard modem card. Like *really *old.There’s a strong possibility that the modem that died is part of your mother board.

If you remove the new modem from where it is seated in the card slot (do while system off then re-start) does the sound come back? If so the new modem is likely stepping on some hardware interrupts the sound card needs to operate. If you don’t know how to reconfigure the modem to move it to different interrupts you will need a tech to do this for you.

Are the sound ports attached to a removable slotted in card like the new modem or are they coming right off the motherboard?

Update: Turns out everything was NOT plugged in correctly. I fixed it, and it works now.

:smack:

Ah. What we call a “Layer 1 error*.” Glad you got it fixed.

*= The OSI Model defines a 7 layer framework wherein control is passed from one layer to the next. Layer 1 is the physical layer which includes the hardware as opposed to all the others which are more and more software-oriented. That’s my geek out for today.