Low-cal foods that make you feel full the longest.

Make a salad with a salad greens mix, dressing and crushed croutons and walnuts. (Put the croutons and walnuts into a baggy and then hammer away on them until crushed.)

White rice is up there in the simple carbs list though. Brown rice is better but you need to boil it for three weeks to make it palatable. I get round this by cooking only the amount of rice I can fit in one hand. I agree about chana masala - delicious stuff. Have it with a chopped-up hard-boiled egg and your’re golden.

A yummy, lazy dish for me is canned chickpeas plus a cut-up vegetable, whatever’s in the fridge. Throw it all in a bowl, add balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sometimes, I’ll even use an apple instead of a veggie, or in addition. Very filling. If I have it as a late snack, I’ll often eat half and then the rest for breakfast.

And chana masala is probably my favorite dish, too. I use brown basmati rice, which seems to be very forgiving to cook. Now I’m hungry…

Thanks, all! I’m turning into Queen Protein! Stocked up on tuna, cottage cheese and eggs and am staying away from most carbs.

Often, for my midnight meal, I’ll have half a can of chickpeas or other beans, add some chicken flavor base (Better than Bullion), and might dice a slice of ham lunch meat into this, and heat it up. If I’m particularly hungry, I add some cheese.

There are carbs in the beans, but they are high-fiber, complex carbs, so they will take longer to digest.

If you can eat raw onions, you might dice up a bit and put it in this.

Don’t forget the almonds!

In winter my cravings for tinned fish skyrockets, sardines too. mediterranean style.

Capers just for the flavor. Cream cheese mixed with capers spread on a triscuit and topped with smoked salmon etc.

Fruit and nuts on the side,

wine

supper’s on!

Dried apples. They swell in my stomach and make me feel pretty full. Cheap, too.

You could also try some really sharp cheese on cucumber slices. You’ll get a bit of fiber along with some fats.

The low-cal food that makes me feel fullest longest, though, is a Fiber One bar, aka colon blow. If you have a spouse, make sure your butt is pointing the other way when you get into bed.

I discovered the energy from protein bang when I ate tuna as a snack a couple of nights; COULD NOT SLEEP!!! Was SO awake, and had SO much energy; it was a real eye-opener.

I’m not a breakfast person, but days I do eat breakfast it is now chicken or pozole or something with a lot of protein in it. I’ll go until 2 in the afternoon without feeling the least bit hungry after eating some chicken around 8; it’s amazing! Too bad it took me so long to figure it out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also make sure you actually drink plenty of water with that kind of bar; I had a SERIOUS issue with any kind of fiber bar until I figured out that, hey, I DONT DRINK WATER.

One without the other just triples the problems, trust me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, a good casein-based protein powder can be very versatile in preparing foods that are low-calorie and hunger-satisfying. Combining such a powder with a carbohydrate like oatmeal is an ideal low-calorie, high-fiber, high-protein meal; all of which favor lean body mass. Look for a powder that has a decent amount of fat as well as casein proteins. Casein-based proteins take longer for the body to digest and are broken down at a slower pace than whey or soy-based proteins (and they fill you up for longer).

Berries are also good; blueberries being the healthiest. But berries are chock full of antioxidants, fiber and have a relatively low fructose (sugar) content so they don’t have very many calories.

Cottage cheese is another good choice.