[QUOTE=Stoid]
…And then we can talk about the real question: Is it inherently rude towards transgendered people to suggest that Coulter IS one because of her appearance, and to do so with teh absolute intention of being rude towards her? Does it follow that one is being rude to transgenerder people?
Class, can we think of any other examples of this kind of thing to compare it to to see if we are being overly sensitive about transgenderedness, or whether there is an underlying truth here that applies?
[/QUOTE]
Natasha, Light of the West, so far we have about 6 different views on what the “real” question is. Tell you the truth, by this time I’d pretty much forgotten about the delightfully equine Ms. Coulter. (No, ETF, I don’t mean to compare her to horses! Horses are good, Coulter is evil!). Right now, I’m just hanging on and riding it out. Though, I’d have to admit, the sheer novelty of being considered too conservative is…well, kinda refreshing!
It is my opinion that, in the longer run, this surgery will prove out poorly. I wouldn’t mind a bit being wrong, I’m a pessimist, I love to be wrong! Which is to say, I’m a pessimist, therefore I love surprises. That is my opinion, subject to change as facts become available. I cannot fathom why this opinion should be held to be hateful or regressive. It is an opinion about the advisability of a procedure, not the value of the patient. It should not have any political dimension whatsoever, any more than an appendectomy or a tonsilectomy. There are a number of persons who who have received this treatment (a term used advisedly) who regret their decision. Who do they hate?
As to the tactical advisability of adding further dimension to the GBL unpopular front for the liberation of all of us…yes, I thought that inadvisable then, and still do. Not my call to make, and nobody asked me, but that’s what I think. It is a tactical disagreement, how to attain what is desired, not even remotely suggesting the goal is not desireable!
I think that the biggest boost to the “gay agenda” (again, advisedly) was the turning back of the gay marriage movement. Not because it failed, but because so many people saw so many ordinary people who just happen to be gay, getting married in suits, dresses, flowers, the whole magilla. Because they looked and thought “Gee, that looks just like Uncle Frank! Gosh, he doesn’t *look * wierd.” People are afraid to be weird! (Well, not all of us, praise be!) The battle lost, the war effort advanced. I know thats “Hurray, we lost!”, but sometimes its like that.
So when you add another layer of stuff they can’t relate to, you impede their progress, their halting stumble towards the light. Well meaning, but tactically faulty, like so, so many of our progressive efforts. There is no disagreement about goals, but methods and means. And if I can’t say that without being misunderstood, fuck it! I’ll say it anyway. Anyone who stifles his opinion for fear of disapproval is a moral coward.
(PS: the Err Apparent, in passing, thanks one and all for their welcome…)