[QUOTE=John Mace]
Not quite. There is every reason to believe that genetics plays a part, maybe even a major part, but it does appear that there are other factors as well.
[/QUOTE]
In that, we agree entirely, as we do on nearly every aspect of this issue. But you are aware I’ve already said exactly that, right?
[QUOTE=John Mace]
We can quibble about whether all those are genetic, but I think when most people think of a genetic cause, they are thinking that there is something in the genetic makeup of the gay person himself. I mean, we can say that everything biological is genetic, but that’s not very imformative.
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps, but it’s still very important to point that out, I believe. It must be said because it must be made clear that it is not purely social-environmental, or arguably even predominantly, as far too many in the social sciences still contend.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
As for evolution, remember that you can’t assume that because X trait exists, that X trait has some survival value and has been selected for.
[/QUOTE]
That’s undeniably true as a general matter, but human sexuality and pair-bonding behavior, it seems to me, must have been a matter for selection and evolution. In my view and understanding, the closer a behavior relates to the raw, basic fundamentals of life, the greater the degree of genetic contribution. So that human sexuality, like eating and drinking, is almost certainly tied very strongly to genetics and hence selection.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
And when it comes to behavior, there are so many complex interactions that focusing on one narrow behavioral trait can be misleading. For instance, whenever we talk about homosexuality and evolution, someone will bring up the babysitter hypothesis (gays were babysitters, and therefore added to survival of their relatives, if not themselves). Frankly, that’s highly implausible. I don’t want to replay that debate here, but there are plenty of threads to look at if you are interested in way I say it’s implausible.
[/QUOTE]
I’ll have to try to find them (but I’d be grateful if you could provide a link). Because I find the kin-selection hypothesis incredibly compelling, as do several brilliant evolutionary thinkers such as E. O. Wilson.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
And I think it’s important to focus not so much on the sex acts but on the pair-bonding aspects of homosexual behavior when discussing homosexuality and evolution.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! Wonderful. Except for the kin-selection hypothesis, we’re very close in our thinking on this matter.
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me.