[QUOTE=Miller]
Can you expand on this a bit? For what purpose do you think the term was crafted, and what cause do you think it is hindering?
[/QUOTE]
And now on to some legitimate, fairly expressed disagreement…
In a way, I was “there”. Spent years working in the co-op movement, as relentlessly, mercilessly PC a bunch as ever tried to save a planet. God bless 'em, they near drove me to drink. We had mandatory weekly meetings for pitilessly earnest discussions of sexism. I have heard otherwise sane women argue for an hour whether or not the term “lesbian” ought to be capitalized in order to express the maximum degree of respect!
Thats where I first heard the term, and first heard it discussed. There was (believe it or not!) some argument as to whether lesbians should admit common cause with gay men, because men teh suxxor and being gay was no excuse.
The term I more or less favored (not having a dog in the fight, being devoutly hetero) was “transgressive”, meaning any behavior disparaged for lack of being “normal”, which included homosexual, bi-sexual, TV, so on and so forth. Trouble is, there is a lot of “transgressive” sexual behavior that is transgressive for very good reasons, and *none * of us were about to assert any right to such. (I had to abandon “transgressive” when it was pointed out to me that pedophiles have some reasonable claim to being “born that way” and I was not about to struggle for thier freedom in that regard.)
To my mind, it made very good sense for gay men and lesbians to make common cause. And I was by no means alone in being suspicious of any attempt to lump TV into the mix. My understanding is such that this debate was carried on in a much wider venue, and that the concensus reached was “transgendered”, which I thought then, and think now, is too nebulous to be useful. Makes us look silly, which makes what we fight for look silly. Lord knows, we have enough enemies as it is.
Hope that answers, Miller. If not, feel free.