Luhrmann to tackle Gatsby

Come to think of it, Mulligan has been in two movies with Knightley, as it happens: Pride & Prejudice and Never Let Me Go.

Oh good lord, now he’s talking about doing it in 3-D. :rolleyes:

Just as Fitzgerald intended it…

This must be some sort of joke. Why would anyone ever, in any circumstances, think that The Great Gatsby requires 3D?

Here’s Carey Mulligan on her research for the part, and some info on the rest of the cast - some big names! And yes, it will be in 3D, don’t ask me why: Carey Mulligan On 'The Great Gatsby': Actress Reveals Intense Fitzgerald Research | HuffPost Entertainment

Huh, I don’t know if Elizabeth Debicki can act, but she certainly looks like I pictured Jordan Baker.

Fuck, 3D? Okay, I can state right now that I have zero intention of seeing this. 3D? Seriously?

It talks about her “chemical connectivity” with Toby McGuire, who is playing Nick, but my whole reading of their relationship is that there isn’t any real connection: it’s entirely one of convenience.

Seriously, I don’t know if I can take a Gatsby version seriously if they take the Nick/Jordan paring seriously.

A paring? Ooo, ouch. Maybe that’s why they need 3D - it’s being remade as a splatterfest.

Now that I’ve actually seen some stuff in 3D, I have to agree. There’s just no point. Even using a bonafied 3D camera leaves you with crap that does not look remotely realistic. Without the parallax, everything just looks like paper cutouts.

Then again, I’m not thrilled with the existence of this movie. The Great Gatsby is one of the most boring classic works I’ve ever read. Fitzgerald manages to make even exciting stuff at the end seem boring. But, even if they fix that, the beginning is still mostly symbolism, and not plot. I cannot see how you can make a faithful adaptation and also make a good movie.

I’ve seen both of the attempts, one of which while actually in my English class.