Lycos leads the fight against Spam!

From the original site? Or a different one? I still can’t get the damn thing. :mad:

I can’t either. Can someone who did download it email it to me? My email’s in my profile.

Ooohh, forgot about e-mail. If anyone can package up the program and send it to me as well, I’d appreciate it. (Unless you hate me. Don’t want any wierd bugs or anything on the HD) :wink:

I can’t get it to load from anywhere :mad:
Can somebody send the OSX version to me?
My e-mail is in my profile.

Nevermind,
Found working sites:Mac
Win

let’s get’em :cool:

wheelie, my hero. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hmm. This version gives some nifty graphics, but says I’m not connected and gives no info on anything my computer is doing. :confused:

It was from the original site. But I see someone has posted another link now.

A new development, perhaps using it is not such a great idea :smack:

From the link:

Fuck 'em. I got no sympathy, none.

I read the article that mallocks posted.

That is so pathetic. I have to contend with 100 junk E-Mails per day - and these bozos think it doesn’t bother me? (And since it is junk mail to MY site it increases MY bandwidth costs). Oh but when the spammers have their sites clogged up with junk. then they run screaming to the authorities. Kind of reminds me of a school bully picking on everyone and yet the teachers and parents do nothing. Then all of a sudden, the students decide to band together and kick the crap out of the bully and he goes running to the principal screaming for help. Yes, perhaps a crude analogy, but I believe this is the first time we have heard anything from the “spammers” because people are banding together and forcing the spammers to take just what they have been dishing out.

So the “authorities” have laws (or may even pass laws) which make this retaliation illegal. Don’t you think the “authorities” should stop and think about why these sites are being attacked? Granted, hackers will attack sites just for the fun of it but shouldn’t it dawn on someone that these particular sites are being attacked for a damned good reason?

I just thought of something. Couldn’t charges be brought against the spam sites for getting hackers to disable that “Make Love Not Spam” site? I mean if they want to fall back on the law let’s not be selective about it. :mad:

Still, something less than happy,
wolf

I don’t believe it’s vigilantism, since it’s not illegal. I get 600 spams a day at work. I waste a great deal of time sifting through these looking for the relevant minority in my inbox, even with my spam controls in place. Get the bastards.

As of this evening neither the main site nor the screensaver is functioning, I can only assume Lycos is reconsidering their position. A shame, I think it was fundementally a great idea, that I really wanted to support.

any updates on this. i love the idea of having a way to fight back. it would be a shame if lycos folded so easly.

I ran it just now, and get the message ‘stay tuned’. I guess they’re probably going to stop the program.

From San Jose Mercury News

It was cool while it lasted, must have been doing something to hurt them, since the lycos site got hacked so quickly.

I can only assume someone somewhere will run with this idea. If anyone keeps up with new programs, let us know if a new version of this comes out?

so the idea failed? no resurrections? no copycats?