Lynch in effigy white Repub woman? A-OK in W Hollywood!

I’m just not buying it. The scene about the ACLU lawyers was included because lots of conservatives hate the ACLU. These guys hung Palin as a witch for Halloween. Both have a larger political and cultural context. The only significant difference there is political perspective, nothing else.

It’s still pretty obvious.

Yes, because there is a historical context for the lynching of black men that doesn’t exit for white women. I can’t get sound for the video, but they’re not expressing a wish for her to be lynched, they’re just making a tactless decoration for Halloween.

I think the people you’re responding to are having the same problem as me–I get a commercial, and after this, I get nothing.

-FrL-

Is this universal hatred and ugliness, on all sides of the political spectrum, a feature of American life all the time, or only leading up to elections?

Did that video cut away briefly to a mannequin of John McCain surrounded by what I hope were intended to represent the flames of hell?

:smiley:

I don’t know if two guys in California count as “universal”.

The reporting of this story was unclear.

Are there any heterosexual males in W Hollywood?

PS: I got an ad for the Navy, then the news report.

I wasn’t talking about the two guys, I was talking about the casual, unironic ‘anything goes when it’s against my political opponent’ attitude.

Sure, but we’re gonna make that illegal when we take over. Gotta round up all the guns first, though.

I don’t know about Hellfire but yeah, John McCain was shown in a fire.

But hey, John McCain lived under through worse for 5 1/2 years. :smiley:

Was he under some stressful conditions at some point in his life? How come he never talks about it?

Didn’t for me. Just repeats the ad.

I get the Navy ad, but with a Village People sound track.

I honestly can’t muster any outrage about this, at all. Burn/hang/nuke any effigy you damn well feel like. For fuck’s sake, that’s why it’s called an effigy and not a person. Might it show bad taste and a huge level of hatred? Sure. But then again, with the way that American politics have gotten, I really can’t bring myself to get all hot and bothered that people are expressing their views, legally, and without actual violence.

For my money’s worth, I’m much, much more disturbed by statements along the lines of “Obama is a secret Muslim/terrorist/Arab/Marxist/America-hater, and something must be done!

Hey, I draw the line!

My commercial was a psychedelic bus full of babies in diapers! :eek: Now that’s scary.

Looks tacky and kinda lame to me. She’s not dressed to suggest she’s supposed to be a “witch” either. These guys could have done something more creative and halloween-y than this.

That damned eeeeevil librul Keith Olbermann declared the “artist” to be “The Worst Person in the World.” [insert obligatory Claude Rains quote about being shocked here]

Damn you for beating me to posting this.

:stuck_out_tongue:

So, it’s ok to lynch Palin in effigy because she’s not a black man?

Would it simply be a tasteless decoration to have Obama getting raped in effigy as a lawn ornament? He’s not a woman.