MacBook Pro in for repair - protecting files

I didn’t word the agreement. I’m supposed to take certain precautions when giving third-parties access to my computer. Since I haven’t had to give third-parties access before, I haven’t had to deal with the issue. It’s not required that I encrypt per-se, only that I prevent third-parties from having access to certain files.

I did plan to eventually start encrypting everything anyway, so this thread is useful in that regard.

You can make a disk image and encrypt that. Then you can dump your files in there and eject the disk. I keep all my significant files in a sparse image disk and encrypt it.

They don’t. But:

1. Who knows if it’s just the hardware in the cooling fans? Maybe it’s a problem with the driver for the temperature sensor. Maybe part of the OS got compromised and they need to run a diagnostic or repair files that a normal user account can’t access.

2. Once they have the hardware, they can do anything they want with the data (unless it’s encrypted). Many people seem to think that handing over a physical computer without handing over the password is some kind of protection, but it’s not. Asking for an Administrator password makes it quite clear that they’re going to have full access.

So, it might be useful, and it doesn’t provide any protection to you not to give it. Even better, asking for it causes some people who hadn’t thought through the security implications of handing over sensitive data to do so. Win-win-win.