Clint Eastwood
Michael Madsen
Tommy Lee Jones

And among the younger crowd I’d submit:

Timothy Olyphant
Ian McShane
Jason Statham

Spy Kids 3D adds Banderas and Trejo to RICARDO MONTALBAN, plus Stallone. :wink:

That said, Pulp Fiction gives us the calm fury of Samuel L. Jackson, plus Bruce Willis killing a boxer in the ring before plainspokenly samurai-swording to save his enemy, at which point Ving Rhames commandingly projects macho upon getting ass-raped, which shouldn’t be possible but damned if he doesn’t sell it.

While we’re on the topic of non-Anglos, let me mention Toshirô Mifune (1920–1997) AKA Badass-San.

And a big “Hell, yes!” on Sam Jackson.

There’s rumors that Banderas spent some time working as a male prostitute, early in his career.

I’d add Mr.T and Chow Yun Fat, to continue pushing out the diversity angle. I don’t know anything about Fat, so I couldn’t say whether he’s equally macho off-screen as on.

I’d say Mickey Roarke on the strength of Marv in “Sin City” alone, though he’s done a few other very macho roles.

I want to offer for consideration Mandy Patinkin who, in spite of having a voice like this, has kicked some major ass in various roles.

Get to tha choppah!

Whether you meant to or not, you reminded me of Sonny Landham from Predator whose picture ought to be next to macho in the dictionary.

1. Has the macho factor changed over time? If so, in what direction?

I think it has changed. I think around the 80s was the turning point where macho started to mean strictly muscles rather than plain old machismo. The Village People singling macho man, was all about the muscles. But in the 70s, Clint could be macho without the muscles.

1. Who is/was the epitome of macho?

Mutherfucking Charlie Bronson.

Right on with both observations. Is there a legitimate successor to Clint?

I must admit my partiality toward Tommy Lee Jones and Sam Elliott, and I tend to downplay the Martial Arts (and variants) proponents as not so much macho as good choreography (with a few notable exceptions like Bruce Lee and Jason Statham.)

Hugh Jackman, playing his Wolverine persona, could be plonked down in any of Clint Eastwood’s films from his young days and you’d probably barely notice the difference.

I think the difference is that Clint liked those roles. From what I’ve read, Jackman prefers light and friendly, song and dance roles.

*Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen
The coolest goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen

They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen
The year Mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

Read more: Drive By Truckers - Steve McQueen Lyrics | MetroLyrics

There was a Slate article a few weeks ago on how the male standard for being an action star has become a lot more demanding, with audiences expect their leading men to be a lot more cut, very muscular with low-body fat, and the industry that’s grown up around helping actors achieve said body-type.

It kinda made me feel sorry for the modern action hero, to the extent that I can feel sorrow for someone thats getting ten million a pop to look good with their shirt off.

Quien es mas macho? Ricardo Montalban es mas macho.

Definitely. That was my immediate thought when reading “most macho cast” in the OP. Possibly most political as well, starring two future governors.

It’s pretty sad that the modern day entry into the Predator saga has Topher Grace and Adrien Brody.

I disagree largely because of Jason Statham, who is a solid nominee for the thread and is no bodybuilder. (EDIT: At very least, it’s pretty rare to see him with his shirt off in his action movies.)

Chow Yun Fat, guns akimbo while sliding down a hand rail, with a toothpick in his mouth. I’d say that counts.

“… Mr. Majestyk”. He is one tough melon farmer.

Jeremy Renner gets work as a cold-eyed action hero without seeming especially cut.

I’ve never seen any of his action movies. But googling, he seems to be a good example actually. In the pictures of him from films, he’s extremely toned, has a full six pack, and, while he isn’t a bodybuilder, he has very defined muscles.

The same search shows a bunch of pictures of him at the beach, presumably between movies, and he’s much less toned and has some bodyfat. Its pretty clear he puts a lot of effort into his physique while he’s filming.

Here’s the article.

Now I’m off to clear my browser history so my gf doesn’t find a bunch of search terms for “Jason Statham shirtless”.

Hmmm, who is more macho, do you think?

Danny Trejo
R Lee Ermy

Hardened criminal vs squared away drill instructor. Tough choice.

Do a POLL on this. I just put one up for Loni Anderson vs. Dolly Parton. :smiley: (not so much for macho, though)