Mad Men on AMC: Fantastic

AuntiePam, I found the scene bizarre. Tell me, if you were “the girl” and one of your male superiors showed up at your house or apartment back in 1963, would you have let him into your bed? I know sexism in the office was rampant but this was just unreal. He shows up expecting sex and she just lets him in?

Much earlier. It was their slogan on 40s radio.

Slate has an interesting slide show, There Are 12 Kinds of Ads in the World, based on the theories of Donald Gunn.

I had a difficult time fitting the Lucky Strike slogans into this typology. I guess they fall into #11, “unique personality property.” These spots highlight something indigenous to the product that will make it stand out." But Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco hardly makes the product stand out. It’s just a catchy way to promote brand familiarity, to pound the name into your head so far that it’ll pop up automatically when the time comes to choose the product. That’s really none of the 12 approaches.

This is just one of the conventions of television, the compression of time to increase the drama of a situation. Having it happen on the same day is unrealistic but it connects the indoctrination of being told you have to sleep with the guys to get ahead, getting her birth control pills so she feels safe, and the pathetic loserhood of the guy who tells his fiancée that he’ll come to see her but goes to this girl instead.

As a writer, the time compression I hate most are the episodes in which someone finishes a book, sends it in and has a copy in hand by the ending, even though it’s a process that can take up to two years in the real world. You either have to accept the conventions or let them drive you crazy.

Movies are even worse. Ever read Ebert’s Little Movie Glossary? 200 pages of movie conventions that are stupid, stupider, and utterly moronic. Yet they continue to appear in movie after movie.

Okay, it’s a stretch. :slight_smile:

We need to know more about Peggy. Over at that other board, there’s speculation that she and Pete already knew each other.

She seems smart enough, and Pete’s not her boss, so yeah, why did she let him in?

Are we supposed to think Peggy is attractive for the time or that she is rather average or plain? By today’s standards she’s somewhat “odd” looking.

I can see if she is supposed to be kind of plain, the overt sexual attentiveness that Douchey Pete showed her while sizing her up in the office could have had a big effect on her.

She had perhaps not been sexualized that way before and that actually endeared Douchey Pete to her.

I think she’s attractive, and that the men in the office would think so too. She has the 60’s attributes – boobs, good skin, a nice smile, and longish hair. And no glasses. I first heard of contact lenses in 1962 or 1963, but they may have been in the cities before then.

Her bangs are distracting, but there are roller-bangs like hers on a bunch of senior pictures from my 1960 yearbook.

Well, the hairstyle may be unbecoming, but I’d say Elisabeth Moss is more than a little attractive by the standards of any era.

She’s costumed extremely conservatively in that first episode, but I’m betting that she will show those legs everybody keeps talking about in the future.

What’s wrong with the theory that Peggy went to bed with the boy because she likes sex? I don’t recall anything from the episode to indicate otherwise.

-FrL-

I said “horny and stupid.” Liking sex doesn’t make her stupid; sleeping with that particular guy does.

Is it interesting or sloppy writing that Pete knows where Peggy lives? It doesn’t look like he’d been there before, because Peggy’s roomie didn’t know him. Did he look up her address (that’s almost a pun, isn’t it?) before or after his bachelor party?

I’m guessing he did it before he left the office. He had just gotten the smackdown from Draper so I guess he figured- OK asshole, and for that, I’m gonna boink yer secretary, that’ll learn ya. He probably assumed- correctly, as it turned out- that she’d go along with it since she’s just had a full day of instruction from the other secretaries about how to be “agreeable” to the demands of the men in the office. I don’t think it matters much that Pete isn’t her boss- I think we’ll see a character turn by Peggy as someone who is actually much more calculating than she first lets on.

I like how the women (especially the performers at the club) had some meat on them, not like the emaciated bird women that are apparently fashionable today. That was period accurate at least.

Count me in the loved it camp.

You guys who keep complaining about the little anachronisms, maybe its just because I wasn’t around during that time but I don’t find them distracting at all. And it makes you guys sound like Trekkie über-nerds who comb thru every episode looking for non-canonical items (nobody’s mentioned that the IBM Selectric didn’t come out until 1961). :smiley:

Its not a documentary. As long as nobody is wearing a digital watch, playing a little loose with dates is fine with me.

And the smoking. I’ve never smoked in my life, but god I love the constant casual smoking! Just as a reminder to the current, wanna-rewrite-history, anti-smoking nazis that not long ago, bad for you or not, its something everybody did!

The guy getting married, I thought it was obvious that he simply played on the girl’s low self esteem to get her in bed, i.e. when he told her he had to see ‘her’, and she responded with a meek little, “Me?”. And I also think this has cemented him as a non-redeemable jerk.

And about the doctor who prescribed her birth control, how would he know if she was ‘abusing the drug’? Women take the pill everyday, not as needed.

I too am puzzled about the ending. Why is his family a secret?

Want ads used to be separate? Dang!

Luuuuuuuuuuuh-uuuuuuuhve it.

– IG

Look, youngster. Let me make one thing perfectly clear.

I’m an anti-smoking nazi BECAUSE not that long ago it was something EVERYBODY did!

:smack: