[Mafia game] The Realm of Phere

[FONT=Garamond]***The Realm of Phere
[SIZE=3]Mafia game

Hosted by Askthepizzaguy

*****Host’s request: Please do not post in the game thread until the game host opens the game officially with an announcement.

Moderators, please delete any offending post. Thank you!

***[/SIZE][/FONT]Player list:

1. Mahaloth
  2. Drain Bead
  3. Suburban Plankton
  4. Mosier
  5. Scathach
  6. Fubbleskag
  7. Weedy
  8. Gadarene
  9. PetW
  10. Astral Rejection
  11. gnarlycharlie
  12. NAF1138
  13. septimus
  14. GuiriEnEspana
  15. Inner Stickler
  16. Lightfoot
  17. Silver Jan
  18. choie
  19. BobArrgh
  20. Tanaer
  21. Red Skeezix
  22. Normal Phase
  23. MHaye
  24. RealityTrip
  25. Lilflower
  26. glee
  27. Visorslash
  28. storyteller0910
  29. ToeJam
  30. Askthepizzaguy

**Game rules:
[COLOR=Red]
**1. The following rules must be strictly adhered to. Accidental rule breaks must be reported immediately to the game host. Failure to comply will result in a last warning or an immediate Wrath of Demon (expulsion from the game), depending on the severity of the rulebreak.
2. Private communications are legal in this game. **You may converse freely off-thread in whatever manner you please, unless you are dead. See rule 5.

**3. SCREEN SHOTS ARE ENTIRELY FORBIDDEN. **You know why, it breaks the game. Don’t ever do this.

**4. You may not quote your role PM. **You may claim a character class, or alignment, or element, or claim a special power, or just make things up. But you cannot reveal your role via copy and pasting any part of it. In other words, use natural language to discuss who you are, don’t discuss your role in a severely out of character way, such as:

“The first line of my role PM says…”
Even if you’re paraphrasing.

“The third letter of the fourth line is…”
No. Don’t do this.

What’s acceptable?
“I’m a level 3 fire mage”.
That’s fine.
[/COLOR]
[ul]
[li][COLOR=Green]Still not sure? Ask me privately. Discussing this matter publicly is too OOC and I will ignore any such questions in-thread.[/li][/COLOR]
[/ul]
[COLOR=Red]5. If you are dead, you may NOT talk publicly or privately unless explicitly told that you may by me, the game host. Almost all of the time, this is game-breaking and entirely illegal. Your ability to affect the game is restricted while you are dead. Being dead has many bad side-effects, being unable to talk or vote effectively being just some of those. :wink:

**6. During the day, **you may cast a vote for whatever is being voted on, always the lynch, and usually an item. During the day, you may have other actions that you can choose to do, and you may send your command to the game host so it may be executed. Always send this in via private message, and by no other means.

You may vote for a player to be lynched, vote “No Lynch” so that no one is lynched, or vote “present” or “abstain” to indicate your continued activity in the game, but otherwise not affect the game tally.

7. During the night, you may send in a night action command to the game host. Always do this via private message, and by no other means. You **are **allowed to discuss strategy at night.

1. Being dead does not mean that the game is necessarily over for you. It just restricts your ability to play it.

2. These rules may be amended at any time to include something I overlooked. Should they be amended, I will announce it publicly, and in big fat letters.

3. **Regarding Askthepizzaguy- Although I am in some ways involved in the game, I am not a participant and under no circumstances can I win the game. I cannot be lynched.

============================
PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING YET

Role PM’s are being sent out. Don’t discuss your role prior to the game opening.
**[/COLOR]

**How To Play guide

Experience Level:**

[ul]
[li]Certain players begin with more experience than others.[/li][li]Certain character classes are more advanced than others and cannot be reached by level 1 or 2 characters.[/li][/ul]
Experience Level Up:

[ul]
[li]Any round where you place a vote during the day, and do not switch character classes, you are awarded one experience level. You do not have to successfully lynch a mafioso or use a special ability.[/li][/ul]
More experience levels as a certain character class allows you to switch to more advanced classes. However, this is not across-the-board; you might advance far as a mage, but that does not mean you can easily switch to an advanced fighter class. You will have to backtrack a bit to get to the more advanced fighter classes from a mage class, and vice-versa. Some exceptions may apply.

[ul]
[li]More **advanced classes **will generally have **more abilities **and higher Hit Points, therefore it is desirous to become an advanced class.[/li][/ul]

Alignment Shift:

During the day or night, you may perform an action which affects the karma of your character. Good or lawful actions may shift you in that direction, unlawful or violent actions may shift you in the other direction. Note that townies can turn Good, Neutral, or Evil, and that Lawful, Neutral, and **Chaotic **aligned characters can all be townies.

[ul]
[li]Alignment affects what sorts of classes your character can become. Lawful characters cannot become every class that a chaotic character can. Purely good characters cannot become every class either.[/li][/ul]

**Good <—> Neutral <------> Evil
Lawful <------> Neutral <------> Chaotic

Shifting Magic Alignment:

Mage-class or magically inclined characters may have the ability to change the elemental god which they serve, renounce the protection of one element and embrace another. This may take the place of a different action.

[ul]
[li]Elemental protection can serve to help or hinder you against certain forces.[/li][/ul]
Wind, Earth, Fire, Water, Light, and **Shadow **are the 6 known elements in this game. None are inherently good or bad.
**Light

Fire [COLOR=White]______________Wind

[/COLOR]Earth****[COLOR=White]______________[/COLOR]****Water

Shadow**

[ul]
[li]**Fire **deals double damage to earth, normal damage to wind, half damage to water.[/li][li]**Earth **deals double damage to wind, normal damage to water, half damage to fire[/li][li]**Water **deals double damage to fire, normal damage to earth, half damage to wind[/li][li]**Wind **deals double damage to water, normal damage fire, half damage to earth.[/li][li]**Light **deals double damage to shadow, half damage to fire and wind, normal damage to others.[/li][li]**Shadow **deals double damage to light, half damage to earth and water, normal damage to others.[/li][/ul]
Magical damage and physical damage are different- some forms of protection can stop one kind of damage, but not the other.
That said, damage taken reduces hit points, and any kind of healing will restore hp damage of any type.

Change Classes:

Characters generally begin as a **Soldier **or a Mage.

[ul]
[li]**Soldiers **become fighter classes, support classes, and clerics, among other things.[/li][li]**Mages **become Wizards, White and Black mages, among other things.[/li][/ul]
Most classes can switch back to being a soldier or a mage. A mage can become a soldier, a soldier can become a mage. Mage versus soldier is the main division in classes.

[ul]
[li]There are some classes which cannot be discovered through experience. Some are naturally endowed with special powers and are therefore inaccessible to all others. This is for game balance.[/li][/ul]
To switch character class, you must first have a class available to switch to. At all times you will be informed as to which classes are accessible at your experience level and alignment. When in a character class, you will be informed which classes you can change into and what criteria must be met for the switch to become accessible. Example, an alignment switch to neutrality may be required, not just a certain level of experience. As the game progresses, the requirements for each class will become slowly known to all players, most likely. The abilities of each class will also become known, most likely.

[ul]
[li]To switch to a class which is accessible, simply PM the game host and the switch will be done. You cannot switch classes again until the next round.[/li][li]To switch to a class which is **inaccessible **but the requirements can be achieved through experience gain or alignment shift, simply PM the game host your intention to switch to the new class. You will then be told what you need to do in order to meet the prerequisites and how long the change will take.[/li][li]If you **do not know **what the prerequisites to change to a class are, then I cannot inform you what you need to do to change to that class. It may require several class changes or it may require information you’re not personally privy to. As such you cannot gain new information by asking me about character classes.[/li][/ul]
Goals

Some characters may gain additional motivations for their own personal success. This does not necessarily mean they are working against the town’s goals, just for their own as well. Some others may gain additional motivations which do conflict with the town’s goals.

*In such a diverse group of strangers, not everyone will see eye to eye on how best to proceed.

*Complicated? Remember, it’s still just a mafia game. The game can be won without bothering with any of this. If you are town, just lynch the guilty scum and you win.

Wrath of the Demon Lord- rule

If thou shalt miss three voting rounds without explanation to the game master, even on nonconsecutive rounds, thou shalt be removed from this life, and the next…

If thou shalt be away from the game due to “real” life, then inform thy game master and thou shalt be granted a reprieve.

If thou shalt not wish to play anymore, because thou art a mortal weakling and cannot withstand the pain any longer… boo fricking hoo. I do not allow suicides. Thou may abandon the game in a manner not unlike a plucked chicken, but thou wouldst remain alive for others to massacre at their leisure.

*It is the **year 10,432… **

in the Age of Iron.

The Parmigian Kingdom spans three continents, having acquired new territories in a war to repel an invasion from the south and the east. The people of this land are not yet fully assimilated into the Parmigian culture, nor do they always follow Parmigian law. However, ever since the **King of Parma, [COLOR=Black]also known as the Parmigiano Reggiano, **[/COLOR]became the ruler of this lands, the people have not seen war, only prosperity. What would be a fractured and divided place is now a nation, united under the banner of their respected King.

The Kingdom is powerful, and has a grand army which defends its borders to the North, and especially to the West. Due to the recent conquests, little more than town watch and a few scattered garrisons exist in the South, which are capable of little more than keeping the peace and the rule of law. Much of the vast territories here have not even been visited by the King of Parma, due to their size and scope. The terrain is rough, and some of the mountain ranges are impassable. The southernmost peninsula exists in near-perpetual twilight due to the vertical slopes, with just a few hours of direct sunlight at mid-day.

There is a settlement in the middle of an ancient, dormant volcano… a vast, fertile plain surrounded on three sides by sharp peaks, while the southernmost range has sunk into the ocean due to the spreading of the continents. A river flows from the north, and passes by this settlement, and spreads out into a magnificent delta, depositing itself into the southernmost sea. The land is so rich that the farms require little sunlight to yield crops of unmatched quality. It is on this shadowy plain that an important event in the history of Parma is about to occur.

The King’s seers have shared a terrible vision, and foretold of a great evil which will rise. **While the prophecy is not specific, it has been foretold that a tremendously evil force will rise against the people of this kingdom, and that the **unseen **summoner or summoners of this force are motivated by the desire for limitless power. It has also been revealed that the mastermind behind this attack is a **traitor **to the kingdom, not an outsider.

As such, the king has asked for skilled warriors and practitioners of magic to step forward and join him on the field of battle, in the place where his fortune-tellers have predicted that the first disaster will strike. The king has promised to reward them all very, very handsomely for their efforts should they succeed. The first order of business: preparing a defense. The king has already dispatched many knights and skilled workers to build a fortification stocked with supplies for the adventurers. This fortress will allow the adventurers a place to rest and recuperate after their journey and prepare for whatever awaits them, without endangering the nearby town itself.

These adventurers are not an army. Many of these are simply skilled mercenaries motivated by **greed **and the promise of reward. Others feel it is their sworn **duty **to protect the defenseless. Still others have joined simply for the **[COLOR=DarkGreen]experience **[/COLOR]of an adventure and the chance to test themselves in battle. Some of these adventurers harbor a deep-seated distrust for others who have joined this group. Not everyone here is in this for anyone else but themselves. Many of these adventurers hail from races that despise one another and have been in a constant state of war for centuries. And there’s also the known traitor within their midst. This group must walk the fine line between cooperating effectively, and being too trusting. Alone, they are vulnerable. Together, they are strong… but the enemy is within, and must be stopped.

The King of Parma has called on neighboring nations to send representatives, for the evil that lurks here is said to threaten **all **the lands of the greater realm. Few have responded, but surprisingly enough, Parma’s great rivals to the **West **and **North **have dispatched several skilled warriors. Their existence on this journey has been called into question by **Parmigian **loyalists, who suspect these outsiders of having other motivations. A few others from the **East **have also joined in.

The journey was a long and treacherous march through unforgiving terrain, but at last, the King and his guard, and the band of adventurers have arrived on the great Twilight Plain.

The nameless town, simply called Town, lies in the center of this valley. The people here are peaceful, and loyal to the King, even if they are not native to the Parmigian homelands. Their town is defenseless, except for the nearly fortification which is still under construction. The band of adventurers makes camp inside the fortification for the night.

In the morning, the King will announce his defense plans for the Town. But for now, the weary adventurers get some much-needed rest…

[SIZE=6]Begin “The Night Before…”[/SIZE]
(Night Zero)
[COLOR=Black]OOC:
Night Zero has begun. No actions will take place tonight, however you may converse amongst yourselves. In the morning, something will happen which will set things in motion. Night Zero will end in approximately 24 hours and some minutes, or 17:00 (5:00PM) Eastern Time (GMT-05:00, US & Canada)

[/COLOR]Game Thread is now [COLOR=Blue]Open for discussion.[/COLOR]

OOC:
FAQ/Question and answer session.

[ul]
[li] As soon as you meet the prerequisites, you may switch at any time. However, if you are using an ability which is only accessible by your current form, the switch will take place at the end of that day, or night, whichever the case may be.[/li][li] Your experience level will **not **decrease.[/li][li] You may request to become the new class ahead of time for as soon as it is possible to do so, and I will make a note of it. If you do not receive an updated role PM when you have met the prerequisites, please remind me.[/li][/ul]

Because assault is illegal, it is an unlawful or “chaotic” action, and therefore not on the lawful path. However, alignment shifts come from repeated and intentional breaking of character. Sometimes justice is required. Sometimes it becomes excessive.

[ul]
[li]It should take 2 actions which break alignment to push you in a given direction.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li] Correct, you must gain three experience levels if it says +3.[/li][/ul]
If it makes note that you must be a certain alignment, and you are not of that alignment, you must perform lawful or chaotic actions to switch; good or evil actions to switch. Which actions are lawful or chaotic, good or evil? It should be apparent, but if not, you will see as the game progresses. It is my intention that you play with limited information about your destiny.

I would read the frick out of this as a sword and sorcery novel. You know, in case you ever want to get into genre fiction.
So leveling. This is interesting as well as the switching classes. We know that some roles are incapable of switching as they’re needed for game balance. I wonder how many people who can switch classes are already planning to do so and how the game will be affected if by Day 3 or so everyone who can switch has become a mage or what-have-you.

OOC-
If several people become the same class, then the powers which accompany that class will be harder to rid the group of. If people decide to explore every possible avenue, the group will gain access to more and better powers as a whole.

It is not strictly necessary to explore every possible class. It’s not necessary to level up, change classes or magic or alignment, or even perform any day or night actions. The game can be won by the vote alone. How you all choose to play this is up to you.

A blank sheet is your future, and you have many different pens.

I am totally paranoid already :slight_smile: I am going to enjoy myself though. The last D&D game I played was 30 years ago whilst studying for a chem path exam.

Yarg! Well met fellow adventurers!
My friends, Romanos, countrymen, lend me your ears!

We must band together to defeat this unseen evil that threatens our delicious empire of Parmigiano Reggiano. The forces of Gouda must triumph over these unseen Edamned Muensters and deadly Gorgonzolas that threaten our lands, seas, and Skyr.
I know some of you have abandoned your Cottages’, some of you- humble Farmers’, saying goodbye to your Buxtom Blue wives, others- nobles, artisans, and others are just simply vagrants that have come to the Margerines of our borders to assist with the cause and prevent the crumbling of our cultures to the wheels of time.
I like many of you dream of cheddar days, but now I have come here to face my destiny! Asiago not quietly into the night, but I go loudly and boldly with you all, my fellow compatriots! We are not alone in this task, the enemy may wish to provolone we fall, but together we are a Formaggi-able force to defeat any threat to us! Let none drive a wedge between us all, or slice us into small shredded forces. We are a solid block, and more powerful united! Remember it is always the most colby-fore the dawn of a new Day, and Toma-rrow our task brie-gins with the first Monterreys of light! So ask what Nacho lands have done for you, but what you can do for your lands! This is not the time to delay in Limburger or pungent purgatory but the time to be decisive and take action! We cannot have any Weisslackers in our party, nor take the time to Greve’ our fallen, lest the enemy cry Havarti, and let loose the stale dogs of war!

We. Shall. Triumph! :smiley:
-R

I was all set to do a proper “You have my sword!” pronouncement, but it looks like the King has fucked off to sleep already. Way to ruin a dramatic adventure trope, your majesty!

Don’t be so cheesy, ToeJam. I’m feta up with those puns. We must muenster our strength or the game will start and we’ll stilton be at the starting line.

If that happens, InnerS, that’s the whey the cheese curdles.
How long do you think we can milk these jokes, or are we the getting everyone’s goat? Speaking of which, where’s my Sheep? Has anyone seen The Good squire of Briston?

I am just wondering what Romanos are?? Have we, perhaps , found our very first scum already?
I am so ignorant of the classics but what the hell. I am ignorant because I don’t like them, not because I cannot read them huh!

Last I heard (herd?) he was settling in Catan crying out, “I’ve got wood for sheep!”

For those who don’t know, Settlers of Catan is a boardgame based around trading various goods back and forth. Also, I was fed this line. Thanks, anonymous witticizer!

Romano is a type of cheese and in this instance is functioning as a pun on the opening line of Antony’s famous monologue from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, “Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears. I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. The evil men do, yada yada yada.” It’s a ripping good play; give it a go sometime when you have an hour or so to kill.

OOC…
What kind of night and day times are we looking at? I’m a bit, er, busy and need to plan a little

I got the opening part of “Julius Caesar” I did miss the cheese bit as I am not too fond of cheese.
Double, double toil and trouble,
Fire, burn; and, caldron bubble.

That’s more my style :slight_smile:

Hi.

At the moment we’re in Night 0. ATPG has announced that Day 1 begins around 10pm tonight.[sup]1[/sup] I expect we’ll learn when Day 1 ends when Day Dawns.

ToeJam - you been buying out-of-date cheese? I still remember your shoe problems caused by bad cobblers.

[sup]1[/sup]When I’m talking, assume times are BST. As I write, it’s 12:30am or so.

Harpier cries tis time, tis time.

Tis time to get back to the game, I think. I’m always accused of fluffing in the game thread. I forget who’s played before, who’s new and who’s visiting from other sites, so I thought I’d do a quick rundown of mafia terminology that I’m familiar with and that I would expect to see people using in the game.

Mafia/scum: The villains and the main threat to town. Sometimes known as wolves.

Town: All of us, except for the hidden scum. Sometimes known as villagers.

Third Party: Solo players who can win with either town or scum, they must either survive the entire game or fulfill a win condition separate from town and scum’s.

Plays for Keeps, or PFK for short: Like Third Party but steals the win from town or scum.

Cop, or Seer: Investigative role that can determine name or alignment of a targeted player.

Doctor, or Angel: Protective role that can prevent harm from befalling a targeted player.

Vigilante: Town role capable of performing a kill, usually at Night. Day vigilantes, obviously target during the day, mandatory vigilantes must kill every [unit of time specified by the moderator], one shot vigs have only one opportunity to kill in the game.

Masons: a group of two or more townies that knows each other is town aligned.

Roleblocker: Can be town or scum. Prevents a targeted player from using an action.

Redirector: Can be town or scum. Redirects an action from its intended target to one of the redirector’s choosing.

Serial Killer: Common PFK role. Can kill every night.

Scotsman: Town role that can survive a kill attempt.

LTL: Lynch The Lurker. A general rule of thumb that people who lurk should die.
LAL: Lynch All Liars. A general rule of thumb that all liars should die.
WIFOM: Wine in front of me. From The Princess Bride and is a commentary on situations where there is no way to logically infer what action another player has taken or will take.
FOS: Finger of Suspicion. A way to let someone know you think they’re scummy.
OMGUS: Oh My God, U Suck. Voting for someone because they voted for you.
Policy votes: Having a policy like LTL or LAL and voting for someone because they violated it regardless of the circumstances, i.e as a policy.

Note: Many of us have a convention of referring to real days and nights as days and nights and game days and nights as Days and Nights. So if you see weird capitalization, that’s why.

Cue the hordes of posts explaining something terribly important that I’ve left out or misunderstood.

I do believe that’s a big-time Scum tell right there…