Magic: the Gathering. Is this stuff worth anything?

Sort of a last resort play then?

Well this thread has covered my ‘something new’ for the day. Now part of me does want to give the online version from the other thread a try. Can you acquire cards and build a deck from winning games, or do you really just have to make a (seemingly serious) financial investment into it?
Though I never played, I have always appreciated the art work on the cards, any good galleries just to browse the pictures?

It’s Larry Niven’s name backward, and it’s a play on the Warlock’s Wheel from one of his stories. The Magic Goes Away, if I remember correctly. The Warlock’s Wheel sucks up all mana in the area and prevents casting of spells.

Not necessarily. You can use it in decks that have very few permanents to actually have destroyed. Minimizing your losses, wiping your opponent’s board clean.

IIRC, the Disk was used often in all-Black decks with Necropotence. Necro let you pay life to draw cards, but you stopped drawing normally each turn. The abundance of cards in your hand with such an ability made permanents less necessary, plus the Disk was a way for a Black deck to get rid of an enchantment.

Or use it just before you’re about to play some very large creature yourself, so it ends up being the only thing on the battlefield.

Or with the recent (last couple of years) advent of cards that remove a card from play and bring it back later (end of the turn, next turn, etc), Nevinyrral’s Disk can be very very handy. Hang some stuff out there that will come into play in a turn or two, blast the board clean with the Disk and enjoy your fast recovery.

It’s also fantastic with Planeswalkers because it wipes out specific permanent types, and doesn’t touch them. So you don’t have to worry about creatures attacking your planeswalker while it builds up to its ultimate. If you’re playing planeswalkers it basically says “wipe out most of the threats to your planeswalker”.

Enjoy,
Steven

Yeah, it’s one of those cards that defined the game earlier on but is now, sadly, too slow to play in most decks.

Sounds like a decent card, if played right. The amount of discussion and strategy of using it is pretty interesting(though a lot of it’s over my head) and makes me wish I would have given the game more of a chance.

Depends on what you want to play.
Tournament-level Magic requires some pretty serious investment; Vintage has a high cost to enter but thereafter a low to moderate investment to keep current. Standard requires much less to start but ongoing investment at about the same level.

Alternately you can look into playing Pauper magic, which allows only common cards, most of which can be had for pennies per card (you might need to look around).

The Gatherer can be used to pull out card searches, including images of the cards. (There are others, but the best links to a number of online shops and that might skate too close to advertising.)

It isn’t necessarily a last resort play. While it is a reset button that can save you from losing the game, it can also set you up to win the game. Lot’s of decks in the vintage format rely heavily on artifacts to produce their mana. That means they play less lands. By putting that down on your first or second turn, you can potentially blow up their moxen (plural of mox) leaving them with only a land which you can destroy or lock down as well with Strip Mine, Wastelands, Rishadan Ports or a few other more obscure cards.
You guys are almost making me want to start playing again :slight_smile:
The whole idea of card advantage is interesting as well.

Here are a few articles about it

In serious Vintage, you’re very likely to lose the game before getting to do anything with Larry’s Disk. Just sayin’.

Or it will get Mana Drained and you’ll get very boned during your opponent’s next main phase with all that free mana you just gave them. Just sayin’ still. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Or they’ll Dark Ritual into Yawgmoth’s Will and really build up a good Storm count for that Tendrils of Agony thanks to all those free artifacts you put into their GY for them.

EDIT 2: Actually on second thought, a Storm deck will be the one to kill you before you ever get to play or use the Disk. So ignore my first edit. :stuck_out_tongue:

They probably wouldn’t cast Yawgmoth’s Will that early. I’ve lost a few games due to playing Yawgmoths Will way earlier than I should have. But yes, between Force of Wills, Mana Drains, the Disks’s CITP tapped catch, and Stifles, there ain’t much chance.

Just as a note since the op’s question has been answered my best friend is one of the mtg dealers in the world. She is a dealer at nearly all world pro tours. If anyone is looking to move cards for any reason I can put her in contact with you or recommend someone in your area. She is one of the most honest people in the business.

Does she buy entire collections? I haven’t played in a year and a half, and I have quite a few cards. I was going to post it on eBay, but things can really go either way on there.

Ben Bleiweiss, the buyer for Starcitygames.com, has a very good reputation for honesty and accuracy.

Yes. She regularly does so. Typically for a larger collection she’d set up an appointment and will go through the entire collection price everything accordingly and offer a total.

If I were to be selling a collection in the US I’d consider the following people.

My friend Michelle of Gaming ETC(Massachusetts/Connecticut)
Dustin of Strike Zone(Texas)
Ben of Star City(Virginia) has a good reputation as well.

All three can be found regularly at major events around the world. It’s best to contact them and find out where you might be able to meet. All three also buy through their related websites.