Maine on the brink of a government shutdown

This seems uncalled for. Is it based on actual statistical knowledge or just generalized bigotry?

Who says civil servants are lazy? Well, they do actually

I Googled it for you.

So your cite is an analysis of a 2004-05 a German survey that was based on people’s perception of themselves as lazy, not if they do work, which was your original claim)? That wasn’t the effort it took you to google.

The shut down will cost the state $200k per week in lottery sales. Shutdown puts some multistate lottery games out of reach - Portland Press Herald

Is that a pro, or a con?

I imagine those of us who don’t play the lottery are going to see an increase in our taxes, so a con.

The shutdown is over. LePage signs budget, ending state government shutdown after 3 days - Portland Press Herald

I’ve heard an interview from Illinois pointing out that Springfield is cynically relying on non-profits to shoulder the burden of keeping things going. Which they do as long as they can. By reducing salaries, reducing positions, by delaying their payments to suppliers, etc.

I’m sure it’s true of many businesses that contract with the state. The state’s float becomes their float.

So in addition to the direct costs (such as increased cost of borrowing), there are ripple effects through the whole economy.

Basically, the state government (legislature and governor) is shifting the burden of its job (deciding the right thing to do and budgeting it) to its workers, to its charities, and to its citizens.

That’s how you run the gov’t like a business!

Make other people pay for things!

The gov also threatened to raise the voting age to 21. Apparently his copy of the Constitution doesn’t include more recent amendments. :rolleyes:

His tribe thinks the only amendment is the second. Or more exactly, the second half of the second.

“Tribe”? “Second half of the second”? Almost had a political buzzword bingo.

At least his tribe isn’t the tribe that assaults people for exercising part of the first.

Ka-Zing!

The governor of Illinois is now rebuffing calls to sell bonds so the state can catch up on the massive pile of bills (and the 12 percent late payment penalties). One theory is that he doesn’t want to do it because bondholders must be paid, but nonprofit agencies can be stiffed without consequences.

That lowers the voting age on Federal elections only. States could put a different age limit on state/local election if they wanted.

The 24th Amendment (poll taxes) is only for federal elections, but the 26th Amendment is for all of them.

“The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.”

The Voting Rights Act lowered it for federal elections, but it was superseded by the amendment.

Gotta love the first

• Paul LePage

Gotta white-knight those neo-nazis.