Major event upcoming on TCM

Hey, same here. My mom was in the backgound, and apparently my aunt was on a carnival ride. I have yet to see the movie, but they were in Gallup. I suppose your relatives were in Gallup too?

Thanks for this thread, lissener. I’ve set the DVR, and as a bonus I’ll get ‘The Brave Cowboy’ too!

Are you talking about the 1928 silent?

It was shown on TCM in April 1996, in Feb 1998, June of 1999 and Feb of 2000. It was shown on commercial tv in 1974-1977. I could go on.

You just started looking for that one just on the late side.

But, you’re correct. Not a commonly shown film.

Yeah, the 2000 showng on TCM was shortly after I first got TCM; been keeping an eye out for it ever since.

Where are you guys getting this info?

I could tell you, but then…

[suicide note]

MY TiFaux FUCKED IT UP

[/suicide note]

Damn. Sorry that happened lissener. I had never heard of this movie until yesterday, and I planned to record it, but I forgot by the time I got home.

Another thank you- been wanting to see tis for a long time- let’s hope the taping didn’t mess up.

We might be able to find a way to help you. I will try to check tonight if my DVR recorded it. Email me if you want to talk off the dope on this.

Jim

I think I got it on DVD RAM-gotta split, check tonight.

Deep breaths, lissener, take deep breaths. It’s not a total disaster (I mean it still really sucks, but…). I just checked and it looks like it is going to be on TCM again March 17th at Noon.

Thank goodness it’s going to be on again. I have never heard of this movie before and I didn’t see this thread until this morning. But from just reading this thread I am dying to see it.

Not to worry. If you don’t make contact elsewhere, I have TiVo and a DVD recorder. Just so you know I have them…

Does anyone know wht they would screen a once a decade film in the middle of the night, instead of during prime time?

The finale of Kirk Douglas Night? I dunno, I got nuth’n :slight_smile: Anyhow, I am trying to get the recording onto some more durable/mailable media, so Lis may just have to call off the harikiri.

I watched it tonight. Good movie but I found the ending a little heavy handed.
Douglas was great in it.

Jim

My favorite Kirk Douglas line:
“Do you drink a lot?”
“No, but I drink frequently.”

At the end of the movie, was Tatum dead or drunk?

Funny story from Kirk Douglas’s autobiography:

I agree it was heavy handed. First, as I’ve said I’m not Wilder’s #1 fan, though I think this is his best movie. Second, it was necessary according to the Hayes Code for Tatum to die; it was actually an inescapable requirement of the censor. All things considered, I think the ending–while not the best thing about the movie–fits pretty well overall, considering.

And, again, not a huge Douglas fan, but this is my favorite of his performances.

I watched it- not a classic, but clearly the work of a great director. Douglas went overboard on occasion ala Jack Palance in The Big Knife, but a good overall performance.

Lis, check your email.

Sorry for the late post, lissener, if you’re still around, I just wanted to let you know I just got back from my local Wal-Mart and they have about six copies of Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer, in the 2/11.00 DVD bin.