Major points from classic or near-classic movies that wouldn't work today (spoilers)

OFOtCN is set in the bad old days of the 1950s.

What radio jamming? They have used radios successfully at least twice. Once to listen to the CFL’s transmission and once when Bernard heard Boon from the radio in the airplane. The radar on the boat worked too.

I was going to say that that one worked for me too. And there was a Law & Order ep with a black man who was passing and was ruined when his baby with his white wife turned up much darker-skinned than he. (The same actor played what I believe was supposed to be a white man on a much earlier L&O ep.)

Is it Notorious that begins with the heroine driving drunkenly with the hero in the passenger’s seat? It was one hitchcock movie or another. I remember seeing it and thinking, “You know, there’s zero chance these two are going to get jiggy. In a modern movie, there’s zero chance the heroine would deliberately drive drunk.”

Daniel

Oh. Okay, my bad. Radios work just fine on the island. They’ve had a working radio since their second day on the island and, for some reason, they just haven’t bothered to call for help. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know, I’m a geek.

North by Northwest has that scene in the beginning where Cary Grant gets busted for drunk driving. His punishment? A night in the drunk tank and a $20 fine.

I was genuinely confused by the end of the Hitchcock movie Rope the first time I saw it.

Jimmy Stewart has it all figured out, then says something like “Well, you’re both going to DIE!” And fires one round from his revolver out the window. I sat there thinking “Uh…how is that going to kill them?”

Then you hear commotion out the window as the concerned citizens of New York scramble to attention at the sound of the single gunshot, and in a matter of 60 seconds or so you can hear the Police cars coming to the scene.

Some other great ones from Hitchcock: Rear Window, where it’s scandalous that Grace Kelly has brought an overnight bag. “Be careful, Tom.” Also the scene where the two people across the way take their mattress outside the window and sleep on the fire escape<!>

Aside from Ingrid Berman driving drunk at the beginning of Notorious as already mentioned, there’s Cary Grant getting forceably intoxicated in North By Northwest and sent off in a car to his death. The whole scene is played for laughs, including his hilarious drunkenness at the Police Station, ending with him dragging two detectives with him to confront his attackers the next day. They don’t believe him, so his Mother says “Oh, just pay the two dollars.”

Not everyone has a GPS receiver. I don’t.

What I bet many people don’t know is that Wentworth Miller, the guy who played the young Coleman Silk in The Human Stain, wasn’t faking. He actually is black (if you buy into the “one drop rule”).

Really? What do you think we’re planning to do with you?

(Just kidding!)

Another one along these lines is the cheerful and carefree alcoholism of Nick and Nora Charles in the Thin Man movies.

• Tamerlane

And what’s even better about the actor they used for that episode (which I have to believe was intentional) was that one year earlier in the movie Lone Star, he played a white sergeant who was marrying a black woman sergeant.

That’s what they want you to believe…

Um, those were completely plausable. None were winged horses. Quit being so close-minded. Sheesh.

Winged horses. The documentary would have been perfect weren’t that part included.