Make up your mind, you freaking quack doctor!

Is there a local walk in type clinic in your area? My neighborhood has a medimerge, with various doctors who all provide care at a reasonable price and are very good at providing prescriptions. That may be an option for you in the future.

That’s a good letter. I think your eye doctor would be interested to know what happened to make you upset enough to consider not returning to her clinic. Any doctors I’ve had dealings with were always right on board with me about prescription costs - I never got brushed off about one like you did.

Having had some health issues this summer, I must protest. It is not normally the doctor’s job to deal with the insurance companies. When I’ve had questions about coverage, I’ve talked to the business manager of the office. The doctor is more concerned with treating the illness. I would say it is the patient’s responsibility to speak up.

No, I just expect him/or her to say…“this drug is my first recommedation but there is no generic available, do you have insurance and is it any good”.

It is understandable that a patient might have a lot on his mind and forget to ask about the cost of the treatment but it is less understandable that a doctor would forget to ask.

I expect them to ask intelligent questions during a consultation and to not be dismissive or rude if our idea of pertinent information differs.

If I have a recommendation on treatment from a friend or the internet, I expect then to tell me why they won’t give me the presciption innstead of giving me a flat no. And I expect an answer other than “I’ve never heard of that”.

And when I said that the doctor should ascertain if the patient is physically and mentally able to follow the prescribed treatment I simply meant that you shouldn’t prescribe running for someone that can’t walk. And you shouldn’t have written my rather unpleasant aunt off when she didn’t follow your instructions to eat and exercise after her cancer surgery and if you did more than just kick her around for being non-compliant you might have thought of the possiblity that maybe her cancer had metasized and she might have gottne the care she deserved before she died.

And I expect them to learn to use the internet instead of a xeroxed paragraph from a 30 year old text book.

This last one happened to me when i was diagnosed with a rare skin conditions. i went home and downloaded 20 pages of layman oriented and very detailed information on it. Both my dermatologist and primary doctor asked me to mail them a copy but didn’t have an e-mail address they would give me.

You probably aren’t the kind of person who would sue your doctor for not giving you the most up to date treaments after always asking about money before they decide what the treatment will be either, but that kind of thing is out their too.

I don’t expect my doctor (or his staff) to know the ins and outs of my insurance. This is MY responsibility.

What I do expect is that when I contact the doctor with concerns about my prescribed treatment, that he address those concerns and provide alternatives to the original plan, not to simply brush me off, the latter of which he did.

Fair to say. My posts have mostly not been directed towards you, and I do hope you’re eye is feeling better.

IME, doctors in the US tend to prescribe antibiotic drops (such as Ocuflox, which I assume is what the OP got) for just about any eye problem, whether it’s a foreign body or just general soreness.

Your experience sucked, but if I were you I would get a second opinion. My eyes were also assailed by an infection and to make a loooong story short what was thought to be a “bacterial” infection turned out to be VIRAL.

Do NOT fuck around with you eyesight. If you still gave pain and irritation get your ass to a Opthamologist and get a definitive diagnosis…something that should take longer than 3 minutes to complete.

I went to the local “Doc-in-a-box” for my first and only eye infection…the “minor emergency” place that will see you the same day without an appointment and without insurance…I don’t usually have an appointment and I have never had insurance…

I paid $90 bucks for the Doc to walk in, look me in the eye, and go, “You have conjunctivitis…what they call pink eye…”

I saw him for literally less than 60 seconds.

The prescription he wrote me was for eye drops costing $110 bucks.

Again, I don’t have insurance so I paid $200 bucks for an eye infection.

I don’t know if there was a generic equivalent to what he prescribed me. It didn’t occur to me to ask. I grew up thinking that whatever the good Doctor said was the Right Thing.

I think medicine would cost a lot less without medical insurance, because then the price would be REAL, not some random price usually paid by some faraway insurance company, and I think I got robbed.

But hey, I caught pink-eye from my co-worker’s daughter and I should pay $200 bucks for half an ounce of antibiotic eye drops! Sucks to be me!

It’s a racket and I kinda wish I was in on it. At leas then I wouldn’t feel like I got royally fucked.

I don’t expect or want my doctor to DECIDE what my treatment is going to be.

I expect a transaction something like this

“I have diagnosed your condition as X and there are a few things we can do”. There is a new drug out for this that I really like and it should resolve this immediately. However, if you don’t have insurance this drug will be expensive and if you do most insurance companies give it their highest copay".

The symptoms can also be treated with {old drug/otc drug / wait and let it resolve itself}. This drug {has more side effects / less chance of being effective / will keep you out of work a few days longer} but this treatment is highly affordable."

At which point I then say:

A. I { have good insurance / have $200 bucks to spare for meds} so I will go with the new drug".

Or I say

B “I {would have difficulty affording that / can deal with a less effective treatment}. Let me try the cheaper route and if that doesn’t work I’ll call you again”

It’s called a conversation and I’m really not sure why you seem to be having difficulty with concept. It’s like you think the 2 choices are to prescribe the expensive stuff regardless of whether the patient can afford it or prescibe the cheap stuff and risk being sued for not telling the patient about the expensive stuff.

To bring this full circle, I will end with the question that begain my first post and hasn’t yet been answered

"Didja ever think of asking?"