Making gravy.

Yes, a wooden spoon is required, for some reason. It’s not possible to carmelize onions in 10 minutes is it? The whole point is to gently coax the onion to give up the sweet stuff. Dim lights, some soft music, you get the idea… :wink:

Ah, somebody didn’t read the thread very carefully.

:mad: Haha, well I’ve been arguing the opposite. It’s entirely possible!:stuck_out_tongue: jack a beer, blast some rock’n’roll, high heat and attention!

Oh well, any of you 10min-caramelized-onion-deniers, I’ll cook you delicious french onion soup if you provide transportation.

I like my gravy thinner, but since I make the roux in the roasting pan, sometimes I end up with a gravy that’s too thick. I add a broth made from the neck and giblets. Yum!

Yes, I freely admit that. I thought I would, when I actually attempted the ten minute, ah, technique. This batch turned out fine. Carmelized onions taste great with about anything. Haven’t tried them on ice cream, but.

Used a good a healthy teaspoon of Sage and maybe a half or so of Anise seed (no Fennel on hand) and it’s really good.

Like I said above, I’d push it more towards 15 minutes, but it’s possible. Check the Serious Eats article. I don’t always make them this way (like I said, when making a big batch, I prefer to just stick a big pot of 'em in the oven for hours and not worry about it). Just be careful not to burn them. You want to deglaze them regularly with a little bit of water as they cook down.

It’s kind of like, you know, you can make roux over high heat, too, or hollandaise without a bain-marie, but over direct heat, but you just have to pay more attention. (Although not nearly as much attention as doing a roux over a blazing fire. Watching some Cajun cooks make a deep chocolate roux in about 10 minutes is a work of wonder. Not only is the slightest burning of it going to ruin the entire dish, but working at that speed with something that hot and sticky can be a bit nerve-wracking. I take a more middle-ground approach to it.)

I usually buy a turkey leg or two a day ahead of time and make stock from them; then use it for liquid for the stuffing and for gravy.

1:1 is definitely the target. However, if you’re not inclined to precision, there are visual cues that help, too. The consistency to aim for–in my experience–is close to oobleck. It should be possible to scrape some of it up into a pile, like a solid, then allow it to flow back down into the pool.

As Chefguy says, you need to reach your target color before adding liquid, as that stops the browning process. The target color of the roux should actually be darker than the color you want for your gravy, because adding liquid will lighten it. As for accidentally making it too thin–I prefer to make the gravy thinner than my final goal, then cook it down. I believe it brings out the flavor better.

One can always default to my mother’s favorite gravy browning substance: Kitchen Bouquet. I’m not sure she understood about making a roux, although her gravy was always good.

I was going to ask about that, I usually just eyeball things, but wondered if the roux should tend towards a dryish paste or more liquidy or foamy. Interesting tip. The flour itself doesn’t really matter does it; all I have open right now is KA bread flour, higher protein stuff.

What is the ratio of roux to liquid? I’ve been using 2T/2T/2C, but somewhere in there is where the magic happens. It’s not so much that it’s thick, it’s fluffy and doesn’t require a lot of boiling down. It’s always really good, but now and then the stars align.

(Completely untrained chef) Does it matter? I’ve used, “about yea fat, about yea flour, and maybe NOTHING of dripping, ,which may be your problem. But you cannot ignore what’s In the pan, for now. Maillard to your satisfaction, and serve.”

My daughter follows recipes. Totally cute. :rolleyes: I was taught to cook like a Bohunk, extra grease, extra starch, extra pork. She may be trying to cook healthy.

Are you happy with the result? Then no.

According to Paul Kelly, just add flour, salt, a little red wine and don’t forget a dollop of
tomato sauce for sweetness and that extra tang.

My mom also used that stuff sometimes.