Male athletes with female first names

That’s interesting. I have no idea how but I remember a lot of the games from the 90s. I remember a lot of specifics about there Stanley Cup Finals run and I should have only been 7 years old when it happened. I thought they had a pretty decent defense.

There was a Chris Everett that played QB for the Rams.

That was Jim Everett, who was called “Chris” by Jim Rome because he played like a sissy. He almost beat up Rome in an interview when Rome kept referring to him as Chris. Not that Chris qualifies as a girls’ name anyway,

:rolleyes:

Whoosh, dude.

I don’t agree with the OP’s theory, or even with some of the “feminine” names listed. (Shaquille sounds feminine to an English speaker, maybe, but I bet Arabic speakers feel differently.)

But as my contribution to the list, there’s former Bulls center Stacy King.

I dunno about “almost.” Dude upended a table and threw Jim Rome halfway across the studio.

Thanks to this thread, I just watched that video again for the first time in ages. Even now, I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes.

Kelly Downs

Shirley Crabtree, if pro wrestlers count.

June Jones was a QB for the Falcons before he became a college coach. Not sure if he was named after the Beaver’s mom, though.

Since his full name is June Sheldon Jones III and he was born in 1953 (four years before Leave It to Beaver made its debut), it’s highly unlikely he was named after a Barbara Billingsley role. :slight_smile:

I think if a child has a feminine sounding name he’d simply shorten it or change it a bit till it isn’t that anymore.

As others have pointed out a lot of these “girl” names are simply shortend versions of longer names. Like when I was young Shelley was a typical shortened form of Sheldon.

Now that virtually anything with an “EEE” sound is a girl’s name. You may find a boy named Billy, but by the time he’s grown he’s Bill, (Billy Carter being an exception). Billy in an adult is usually Billie -> Female

Young men named Nicky become NICK and leave Nikki for grown women.

This made me think of outfielder Shelley Duncan. Turns out his full name isn’t Sheldon- it’s David Shelley Duncan. I assume he goes by Shelley because his father is also named Dave.

Fran Tarkenton

Marion Barber (Jr and III).

Don’t tell John Wayne about that one!

Marion Campbell

Kelly Tripucka, whose first name is Peter, but went by Kelly.

Not really a girl’s name though, as others have pointed out. I thought it was weird when I was a kid, though.