2. Drink wine with.
  3. Shop with.
  4. Talk with.

Dang, I miss Arthur.

Again: Sniff.

Sappho’s male companion?

The only time I’ve heard the OP answered, the answer was:

Just one of the boys

As Told by a lesbian, I swear it. I’ve probably forfeited the Baklava :frowning:

Yes, The Sonoran Lizard King*, Alcaeus was a famous Lesbian (with a capital L, the island of Lesvos) poet who was apparently either a heterosexual or a bisexual guy, and he hung out with Sappho and her gals.

Do you like your baklava with pistachios?

The couplet of Alcaeus I quoted,

Ióplok’ ágna mellichómeide Sápphoi,
thélo ti weípên allá me kôlúei aídôs

is kind of cute. It means:

Pure Sappho of the violet tresses and the gentle smile,
I would fain tell you something, did not shame prevent me.

What a coy flirter! I would have loved to see where he took the poem after that, if anything besides this fragment had survived. Or it might have been a standalone couplet.

In the painting by Alma-Tadema, Sappho looks exactly like my cousin Antonella in Sicily. Note how the girl standing at Sappho’s side is the living image of an Archaic Greek *korê* statue, as though that style of statuary had just come to life. While by contrast the girl lounging languidly in the background is painted monochrome, as though she were a live girl who had just changed into a statue.

*I use the “the” (band name!) even in the vocative with Doper names, probably because when I was young and impressionable I listened repeatedly to Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. One of the musicians went by the name “The Mascara Snake.” So at one point TMS mumbles “Fast ‘n’ bulbous.” The Captain replies brightly, “That’s right, The Mascara Snake! Fast and bulbous!”

Well, usually my sweets are without Nuts :wink:

but I’ve been known to try anything, once.

Friends call me SLK.

Friends of Al Franken? :confused:

I feel bad for continuing to hijack this thread, but Johanna, your Greek text doesn’t display properly in my browser. I copy-pasted it into WordPad and applied the Symbol font, and it made a little more sense, but I think there were some typos in there. :wink:

Here’s my attempt at posting it in Unicode:
‘Ιοπλοκ’ αγνα μελλιχομειδε Σαπφοι,
θελω τι Φειπην αλλα με κωλυει αιδως.

FTR, neither the original text or the English translation makes much sense to me, but then again I’m only on about page 39 of Teach Yourself Ancient Greek. Maybe after I’ve read the whole book I’ll take another look at the passage. :smiley:

Okay, gotta say something of relevance to the OP… one time years ago my mother was wondering out loud why most phrases that specifically refer to men or women come in counterpart pairs, but there was one that didn’t have a counterpart equivalent. And darned if I remember what it was. The point is, the English language has a few of those anyway.

Yes, umop ap!sdn, I did let a couple typos slip past me in the Symbol font I used to write Greek (which does display in my browser OK). Your redaction looks pretty good, except that you can’t make the letter digamma with the Symbol font. For that I switched out of Symbol, typed a capital F, then switched back into Symbol for the rest.

Alcaeus was a guy who hung out with Lesbians. Works for me. Again, one detail in the painting by Alma-Tadema that I just noticed: Sappho is wearing violets in her hair, suggesting that she is listening to Alcaeus sing the lines quoted above about “Sappho of the violet tresses.” The kore standing next to her and petting her on the back has the “Archaic smile” characteristic of statues made in that era. Sappho looks like she’s absorbed in listening to Alcaeus’s poem for her. Do you think he will win the wreath?

Ah :smack: I didn’t catch that. Symbol displays in Opera 7 as a Roman font, so to me it just shows a large F in the middle of the pseudo-transliterated Greek. When I adapted it to Unicode, I simply copy-pasted the text and fixed the typos, blissfully ignorant of the fact that the digamma had been turned into a phi.

Juan Yen.

slow clap
well played…:slight_smile:
bamf

Actually, I’ve heard “dutchboy” used to refer to straight (or sometimes bi) males who are into lesbian/dyke/queergirl music, art, etc. And yeah, there are some of them; most of the female-oriented punk shows I’ve been to have had at least a few males in the audience.