Male first name that's definitely not Jewish

G’day

I suggest “Xavier”.

Or “Tiberius”.

Or “Uriah”.

Regards,
Agback

Gila - while Jon is short for Yonatan (“God-given” - prince, buddy of David), John is a completely different name - a translation of Yochanan (“God-absolved” - baptist, buddy of Christ). It’s just coincidential that they sound the same in English. Because the first documented Yochanan was John the Baptist, many Jews would just as soon call their kid Jesus.

Basically, any “OT” name can be considered “Jewish”, except perhaps Nebucanezzar, Haman or Onan. I know of several prominant Israeli public figures named Zvulun (“Zebulun”) or Yedidya (“Jededia”) - although the latter is usually shortened to Deedee.

C’mon.

Haman. What Jew would name their kid Haman?

A point I see Alessan just made.

Maybe we know the same Phil Smith?

Robin

try a very English name (anglican), like Stewart (Stuart) or Richard. or a very catholic (irish) one:

James - Seamus
john - sean (owen)
patrick - padraig

I’d say any italian/Hispanic name would do, too.
Romeo
Giovanni - (John)
Pablo
Pedro

good luck

Cecil sounds nice and generic. So do John and James.

I think the Census Bureau recently put out their periodic study on the most common first names.

Though on rereading the OP, I see you want a name that’s emphatically not Jewish, yet remains Western. How about Francisco Pizarro? Or a rough translation of that name, Frank Place?

Okay …

I’m sure there are Jews named “Christian” out there.

Not so hard, after all.

Or …

I’m sure there are some people out there named “Christian” who are Jewish.

“God”? Wouldn’t that be a blasphemous for someone to use?

Cicada: Who do you want to make the mistake? I think you want protagonist to seem to have been making a mistake, as opposed to p’s husband making overgeneralisations. Is that right?

In that case, I don’t know that you can do it as you describe - the consensus seems to be that there is no name that it would be stupid to think could be of a Jew (aside: is it polite to say ‘Jew’ or ‘Jewish person’?)

You could create most of the effect by choosing a name that very few jews have. But you might want to think about some other obvious sign: surname, if you can think of one; some comment he made; etc.

isn’t it obvious…

nicholas :wink:

Sigh. What part of most of these did you not understand?

Israel is also a relatively common name for Hispanics.

What’s all this about? Yochanon is an extremely common Jewish name.

It is also untrue that the first documented Yochanon was John the Baptist. E.g. the father of Yose ben Yochanon ish Yerushalayim, a disciple of Shimon HaTzadik (who was roughly contemporaneous with Alexander the Great).

Also I don’t think Yochanon translates to “absolved”. More like “likes”, or “favored”.

Nanjoo.

i’d suggest some old german names:
hanno
eike
armin
kuno
gerfried
heiko

Most Indian or Hindu or Sanskrit (the three are not exactly the same) names would do as well (note, many of these names can be either masculine or feminine depending on the pronuncation of the final “a”)–

Arabinda/Arvind
Arun
Shankar
Rajesh
Chandra (although there was that unfortunate Levy girl)
Krishna
Kumar
Ananda/Anand

Heck, take a look at this page.

Or, you could use an obviously Islamic/Arabic name, such as

Abdullah
Bahauddin
Jehangir
Aurangzeb
Timur

The obvious solution would be:

Father _____ or Reverend _____ or Sister _____.