Man, Letterman Blows Now

Brother Theodore was great, as were the Chris Elliot skits.

I too see a huge problem for Conan. By the time he takes over the Tonight Show, he will be 46–a not-so-cool, middle-aged old fart who looks 50, but is still doing a twentysomething’s monologue. Bad combo. Conan is funny, witty, edgy, but he’s no match for early Jay Leno doing the monologue. Frankly, I can’t see Conan doing a razor-sharp 12-minute monologue every night, which is the Tonight Show tradition. He has his brilliant moments, but he isn’t consistent and after 40 million “Be cooool, my babies,” you’re hoping for something else–especially for a 46-year-old man. Ugh. I wager even money someone else takes the Tonight Show from Conan, basically doing a Leno to Letterman powerplay.

Count me in as another Craig Ferguson fan. Leno and Letterman have both annoyed me for years now, and while I used to love Conan, I’m finding I’m getting tired of him too.

I think a significant part of Ferguson’s appeal is that he’s so obviously thrilled to be there. That, and he seems to have far more human interaction with his guests. Half the time they seem to forget about the movie/whatever they’re supposed to be plugging and just chat.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Craig just seems like he’s as amazed he’s sitting in that chair as anyone else. He’s treating it as he just won the lottery. Makes it great fun to watch :D.

Phil Hartman: What do you think is on the back of this leather jacket?

Letterman: A diagram of the Heimlich maneuver?
So non-sequiter that I nearly spit something out. This must have been 10 years ago.

It’s a big relief to see some of you guys saying you’ve never found Letterman funny. Neither have I, but I thought that was just an Australian not appreciating American humour type thing. Which probably has a lot to do with it anyway, because I just. don’t. get. it.