March 6 Dem Debate: The Showdown in Flint (Don't drink the water)

Getting worked up and worried is no excuse for disparaging members of our armed forces because of their religion. That’s shameful behavior.

Okay. Search on Amazon for “Showtime the circus”. Go to episode seven and see if they will let you play it as a free sample. The section in question is from 11:41 to 12:15, although you can expand it out from there (starting earlier and finishing later) if you want to get more context.

Even leaving aside issues of gender, my impression is that Bernie Sanders has very little patience for anyone who disagrees with him. He does not strike me as someone who can get into a give-and-take with advisors or certainly with reporters. Every member of the Vermont press corps that has been covering him for years seems to dislike him and snarked that the only conceivable news story they could ever imagine him being satisfied with would be if they took one of his press releases and disseminated it verbatim. Maybe that’s the role of the news media in his ideal Trotskyite paradise, but it’s not what I think the press should be doing in a free society.

Enough with the personal comments.

That’s more it to me.

Okay, yeah, I can see that. I’m certainly not going to jump through three sets of hoops to watch something from Showtime, and the idea of “difference feminism” sounds a lot to me like “old-school patriarchy in a new bowtie,” but if the objection is to his cantankerousness, I can certainly see that.

Not according to what you posted just yesterday.

I’m thinking that if you are trying to get more of an African-American vote, saying something like “white people don’t know what it’s like to live in the ghetto” on a question of race blindness in general is not helpful. Sanders’ advisers must have been yelling at the TV when he said that.

Was the debate held during the final episode of Downton Abbey (on the east coast)? Because, like, every Democrat on the Eastern Seaboard would be watching that!

Wouldn’t Bernie fans object to the blatantly pro-aristocratic bent to Downton? :wink:

Bernie showed himself to be a grade A asswipe during this debate. He’s as unlikeable as Ted Cruz. He also truly proved that he’s a one trick pony, even blaming Wall Street for the Flint water problems. After Sanders gets trounced in Michigan and Mississippi , he really should stop out. He’s running out of Caucus Caucasian states.

I have not seen the debate.

I see SlackerInc is back, and has shifted to attacking Bernie’s manner as aggressive. If anything Bernie has been too low-key & unremittingly positive to date. I’m gratified to hear that he’s putting up a fight.

But SlackerInc’s horse in this race is well-known.

You’re saying it’s due to something other than the money-at-all-cost attitude that defines Wall Street?

So it’s fair to blame Wall Street because money?

He won’t drop out. He sees himself as a holy warrior (albeit a secular one). Holy warriors don’t drop out!

It’s not so much a ‘man versus woman’ thing as it is a status-and-hierarchy-in-general thing. When the person with the higher inherited status (in this case, a male) is seen as scolding or facing down the person with lower inherited status (in this case, a female), it’s seen as being graceless and boorish. It’s a sign of poor ‘people-skills.’

I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue Sanders is the one with higher status.

Yeah, that was my take too. Chronos reply was definitely a head scratcher, and I thought it was an odd take on Sanders part as well, though I didn’t watch the whole debate and only saw a snippet on this. What exactly IS the Wall Street connection to Flint?? :confused:

As to the aggression part, I guess I didn’t get that vibe at all. Maybe because in my own family raising your voice and saying ‘I’m talking here’ is pretty much the only way to get your point in…that and shouting really loudly in Spanish while waving your arms around wildly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course Sanders may see himself as the relative little man, of lesser status in hierarchy, standing up against the establishment power that he has placed Clinton as representing, with little regard to gender. Clinton may be female but he still thinks of her, relatively, as The Man.

And am I the only one who has a flashback to the Annie Hall split screen scene with the two families at dinner? Clinton comes from the Halls; Sanders is of the Singer mishpacha. :slight_smile: But optics matter in politics and he’s dealt with this perception before.

I don’t think he sees himself as a Holy Warrior, and he is clear that he appreciates that goal one is keeping any of that GOP crowd from victory. And personally I do not think he was unlikable last night. I think he’ll transition well enough as Michigan is lost by double digits and after he loses Illinois, Ohio, and Florida on the 15th he’ll publically acknowledge the obvious.

The negative that he increasingly shows is that his view and understanding of the world pretty much rigidly static, stuck where it was at the end of the '60s. Now as it turns out on economic issues many others are now where he happens to have always been (especially since they now perceive income and wealth redistribution as something that they will benefit from, rather than be among those who are taken from), but on other issues his archaic perspectives are a bit jarring. He does not strike me as someone who is or would be willing to change opinions or perspectives based on new evidence or arguments.

Notice I wrote “*inherited *status.” At birth, neither Hillary nor Bernie could claim any special economic or power-structure status–they were both born to modest circumstances. But at birth they did have one inherited difference in status: maleness being ascribed more value, in our culture, than femaleness.

It’s not worth making a big deal over. But when a man is shown on camera scolding a woman, it’s virtually always perceived, consciously or not, as a ‘punch down’ situation–and thus it’s wiser for the man to refrain from doing that on-camera scolding.

As an illustration (admittedly a tangent), many will recall that when George W. Bush was filmed walking over to the Chancellor of Germany and attempting to give her a back rub at a 2006 G8 summit, the creepiness factor may have overshadowed the fact that he was never filmed doing anything similar with a male head of state. It was perceived as a status play–‘I outrank you, therefore I can touch you’ sort of transaction (though likely completely unconscious on Bush’s part).

It’s difficult to believe that Bush would have done it at all, had the German Chancellor not been female. And it can’t really be argued that this was about status derived from economic class or anything other than gender–for example, Bush apparently never tried to massage Merkel’s predecessor, Gerhard Schroder, despite having five years of opportunities to do so.

That makes for an interesting mental picture, which I will now attempt to erase by injecting bleach into both my ears.