Marco Rubio presidential campaign discussion thread.

That’s what he’s told donors.

Not a smart move - if he leaves office, and he likely will that way, it will be as a loser, and losers are quickly forgotten.

It will anyway.

Thanks for the cite. But its kind of vague on whether “running for President” means the General Election or if even the Primary counts. I would think its the former, which makes sense, but if he does need to resign just to be on the Primary ballot, I agree he’s being an idiot.

Does anyone know what the FL law actually is?

In the General Election, his opponents will presumably support immigration reform, so while I imagine he’ll get some heat for hypocrisy, I doubt it will actually change many voters minds.

But a GOP primary with Rubio looks likely to devolve into a “more xenophobic than thou” contest, with the non-Rubio (and non-Bush) candidates competing to be the most anti-immigration choice. After that, I think it would be pretty tough for the winner to turn around and put Rubio on his ticket.

Of course, Reagan put Bush on his ticket after a somewhat nasty primary. So I’m not saying it can’t happen, but I think being being in the Primary is likely to do more damage to Rubio’s value as a VP pick than it is likely to help. If that’s really what he wants, he’d be better off just hanging out on the sidelines and maybe trading a well-timed endorsement to a Primary candidate in return for VP consideration than actually running himself.

Meh. It smells pretty squirrelly, but the public has pretty consistently demonstrated that they don’t really care if political candidates skim party or campaign funds to their families. I doubt it will do much damage to Rubio’s Presidential hopes.

I’ve seen nothing about him resigning, just about not running for re-election.

Doesn’t really matter. With all-Republican control of the Legislature and Governorship, it can be made to be whatever they need it to be.

Oh yes, they’ll go full nativist, no question. But part of that appeal requires being able to point to a few of “the good kind”, as well as to claim “We’re not racist, we’re just pro-American, see our friend here?”. Rubio would take care of that, if he’s willing to let himself be used that way. Cruz less so but maybe him too.

Yea, sorry, I mean not running for the seat. I’m asking if he’ll run for the Senate seat if he looses the primary, or if he’ll just forgo running if he actually wins the Nomination.

OK, but Rubio has said he won’t seek to change the law, so presumably its the current law that he’s talking about. Does the current law keep him from running in the Primary and his Senate seat, or just from being a candidate in the General Election?

OK, but Rubio will be just as Hispanic if he doesn’t run in the Primary. The only difference is that if he doesn’t run, the Presidential Candidate won’t have spent six months hinting that he’s secretly in league with the Unamerican forces of the Hispanic Peril*.

*(is there a Hispanic equivalent for phrase Yellow Peril?)

It can be changed for him without his publicly asking for it. Or even privately.

Apparently.

That doesn’t preclude a stalking-horse candidacy by someone else in the Senate race, AFAICT.

The Brown Stain? Some Goppers refer to an “invading army”. With calves like canteloupes …

Not really relevant to my question. He said he won’t run in the context of the current law. I want to know exactly what he’s saying, so I’m asking what the current law says. That he might backtrack behind the scenes or whatever isn’t really relevant to my question.

Unless I’m missing it, that doesn’t answer the question either. It just repeats the same thing as your previous cite. “running for Prez” could mean two different things. As a Candidate for a party’s nomination, or as the GOP nominee.

Would you believe there are now Rubio birthers? (He was born in Miami, but his parents were not naturalized until four years later, which makes him an “anchor baby,” and there’s a sector of the RW that denies the legitimacy of citizenship acquired that way.)

I would, sadly. He does have something in common with their other targets.

Yes, its still Yellow, but spicier :smiley:

Mexicans are short and like cockfighting, so I’ll go with “Bantam Menace.”

I think the Thomas thing had more to do with his treatment. If a black politician or nominee who is a Republican gets beat on by a bunch of white Democrats for being ideologically extreme, that’s one thing. That politician or nominee will get no sympathy from a black community whose views they do not share. But Clarence Thomas was getting portrayed as a stereotypical threatening black man preying on women and I think many in the black community must have resented that, especially since his inquisitors were 100% white given the Senate’s makeup at the time.

Thomas’ comment that he was the victim of a high tech lynching was probably also designed to get him sympathy and it worked.

Wasn’t Anita Hill also black, though?

I think Rubio’s candidacy is just a “lose so you are eligible next time” deal. He’s clearly not ready for prime time.

A good summary of why Rubio’s reputation as an eminence on foreign policy is wildly undeserved. Abbreviated version:

1. Supported regime change in Libya.
  2. Advocates an unconditional authorization of war against the Islamic State.
  3. Wants to make the post-9/11 surveillance state “permanent.”
  4. Is in denial about military spending and the national debt.
  5. Is honestly worried about China becoming the world’s leading superpower.
  6. Still thinks the Iraq War was a good idea.
  7. Thinks George W. Bush did a heckuva job.

For some reason, the article omits from the list his comically anachronistic position on the detente between the US and Cuba, his uncritical and absolute devotion to Israel, and bizarre analysis re: the negotiations with Iran. They could have easily made it a round list of 10.

The way everyone keeps stressing how he is a freshman Senator, I feel that being “the Cuban Obama” will make an appearance at some point.

That stuff doesn’t happen to Republicans.

To round up and pass to a baker’s dozen I would include his flip flop on immigration reform, his desire to end the Affordable Care Act (not to reform it and he really does not have any good ideas for what to do instead). And his denial of the human produced green house gases being a problem is also an irresponsible flip flop from his previous position.

It seems Rubio in 2008 pushed an alternative to Obamacare that relies on “market based solutions” to expand coverage and lower costs. Seven years later, Obamacare enrollment in Florida is 1.6 million, and Rubiocare is 80. Not 80 million; That’s four-fifths of one hundred.

GIGObuster, those aren’t foreign policy, though, which was the subject of the article.

I Ninjaed that in my previous post.

Well, I missed that, but immigration and climate change specially have foreign policy elements.